Chapter Eight

The next day Clara and Adam get Katlyn back home to the Green Zone, and back to her house. While making the transition back from the Red, Grey, and Green zones Katlyn has learned so much about the essentially class divide between them: The Green lives a pretty privileged and safe life, the Grey has a lot of discrimination and oppression under the thumb of the occupation forces, while the Red is basically the wild west with no real rules, and the only certainty is that someone is gonna die eventually. The faces of the people and children, along with the pained expressions of the injured NVR members stay front and centre in her mind the whole trip back home.

They pull up in front of the house and Katlyn walks up to the front door thinking of ways she can possibly help at New Town while she walks in the front door. When she enters the kitchen she is greeted by the sound of someone clearing their throat, the sound making her jump slightly.

"Where have you been?" The familiar voice of her father asks with a firm tone.

Ah shit! Really? The one time he's home he has to be now?! Fuck!

She hesitates to answer because she knows that tone he's using, and she knows a grilling is coming.

"I was out with Clara." She says, hoping to say as little as possible.

"And where were you that you couldn't answer your phone? I texted you, called you and you didn't answer either." He says with his hands folded in front of him, staring her down with narrow eyes.

It's common knowledge that the Red Zones are dead zones for cell phones, the only form of long range communication is by radio. She knows she has to approach her answer carefully or else things will get far worse than they already are.

"We went to Nathan's to watch movies, and play some games. Guess I didn't hear my phone. Sorry dad." She explains with a calm tone but avoiding eye contact.

She tries to keep the cut on her right arm out of sight knowing if she has to explain that she won't be able to come up with a good enough story for that. He looks at her intently for an awkwardly silent moment.

Okay. Just be careful. We've had an increase in insurgent activity lately so just make sure you are somewhere safe if you can't get home." He says with a calmer tone and expression.

Does he mean the convoy that was delivering food?

"I will, dad. Don't worry. I'm gonna go shower now." She says as she gets ready to head upstairs.

As she walks out of the kitchen her dad asks her if she'd like some breakfast when she's done, she says she would and thanks him as she goes up the stairs to get a change of clothes before showering. She enters the shower letting the water rinse the dust and dirt from New Town off, she winces in slight pain when the water hits the cut on her arm.

Damn that hurts! What activity is he talking about? The only thing I can think of was that food convoy... I guess they wouldn't know it was full of food and medical supplies but still...

She spends a short while in the shower before getting out and inspecting the cut on her arm while she dries off, with the cut freshly cleaned it's not all that visible making her feel more confident she can wear a short sleeved shirt without having to worry about it being easily seen.

She heads back down stairs where the smell of waffles being made hits her nose immediately, a smell she's missed. She knows how to make them herself but her dad has a way of making them she's never been able to replicate. She walks into the kitchen and notices he's changed out of his uniform finally. The two sit for the first time in days to have a somewhat normal breakfast together, and Katlyn enjoys a real breakfast after the absolute craziness of the last few days. The fresh, crispy, and fluffy taste and texture of the warm waffles is a welcomed delight.