familiarity.

t's pov | ☕️

walking in, my mouth dropped, and so did tasias.

"close your mouths before flies get in them."

she chuckled, looking at us.

"and to you...?"

"fantasia"

"yes, fantasia, im so sorry about the gate incident. how are you, my love?"

"its fine, and im okay. thank you for asking."

"you have a very soothing voice. you could put a baby to sleep in seconds."

"thank you."

"you're welcome. im sorry, i don't have anything prepared. i wish i knew you two were coming, i would have made a big dinner."

"it's cool we ate already. you can make it up to us with a huge breakfast tomorrow, though." you can never go wrong with a table full of breakfast.

"whatever you want. so, let's pick out a room for you two."

instead of taking the stairs, she invited us to ride in the elevator. i ain't ever seen no fancy shit like this.

we stepped off the elevator passing rooms, but one room had a name on the door that said "mariah h." with small minnie mouse stickers on it.

"this is my master guest bedroom, but now it's yours. i know you both are probably tired, so rest rest rest. taraji, you and i will talk tomorrow."

"okay." she walked over and kissed my temple along with tasias.

"you're not excluded, fantasia. i have kisses for everyone. goodnight, hunnies." she chuckled, walking out.

"she's actually very sweet."

"you say bout everybody, tasia."

"yeah, because i know a sweetie when i see one."

"that's because you are one."

"thank you baby."

as we was cackling, i was still in shock about all this. i was tryna play it cool, but im nervous as shit.

"what's on your mind?"

"everything. i know you told me it's gon be cool and all, but it feels different to be around her now. it don't feel the same - well, not yet, at least."

"it isn't supposed to feel the same on the first day of meeting again after all of those years that have passed you two of not being around each other. things like this could take time you have to adjust to it."

"you right. i just want my questions answered so i can stop my mind from wondering."

"you deserve that more than anything else."

i felt my phone vibrate, and i looked at it, seeing that it was gab.

bm: have you picked a name yet? he'll be here in a few weeks, and im still stuck :(

"damn i still ain't picked a name." i looked up at the ceiling, thinking.

"for your baby?"

"yeah."

"im gonna hold your hand when i say this, okay?"

"wassup?"

"i know that's your son, and i get you wanna, you know, name him, but baby, i don't quite think it would be a great...idea for you...to-"

"name my son because all the names i said was trash?"

"i was gonna be a bit more nicer, but yes."

"damn so chuck ain't hitting on nothing? or maybe even stanley."

"baby, no."

"so then you choose one."

"i wont choose because thats a little over the top, but i will help you look, and you decide which one you wanna settle with."

"how is that over the top?"

"because if i were her and your significant other named my child, you'd both die. now, lets go shower, and we'll do research when we get back." she smiled, walking in the bathroom.

and i thought i was batshit crazy.

them quiet ones be the craziest ones.

: im still stuck too ima come up with one soon.

i plugged my phone in and went to join tasia in the shower.

8:23 A.M. | the next morning ✨️

of course, i woke up first holding fantasia in my arms. i sat there stuck in my thoughts about everything and the good time me and tasia had last night.

a small knock came upon the door. that sounded like a kid knock.

"come in." i said low, not trying to wake tasia.

it was a kid. so im assuming that was her  room we passed.

"hey, mama." i spoke, sitting up.

she stood staring before coming to my side and outstretched her arms. i picked her up and sat her next to me.

"you okay?"

still nothing.

"mariah baby, where did you go?" i heard karen yell.

i picked her up and walked out of the room, closing the door behind me.

"she right here. she came into the room with us."

"thats surprising."

"what is?"

"she let you pick her up, and this is her first time seeing you. she usually hides from unfamiliar faces."

"you think im cool?" i asked.

"she cant hear you, baby. you'd have to use sign language."

okay, now i see why she wouldn't speak.

"ask her for me."

gran did the hand movements. she looked at me and smiled, shaking her head, yeah. i smiled back, giving her a high five.

"i gotta learn how to do that."

"ill teach you."

whatever she said with her hands, it made mariah jump down from my arms and run in her room.

"i told her to start her morning routine before breakfast. by the way, i made sure to complete your request. come down whenever you two are ready."

i nodded and joined fantasia, who was moving around before she sat up.

"goodmorning, pretty."

"goodmorning, baby. where you coming from?"

"in the hall. a little girl came in here this morning, and it's crazy i was sitting up here talking to her, not knowing she was deaf. i feel stupid as heck."

"don't feel stupid you were unaware. what did you two talk about?"

"i was just asking if she was okay and stuff, and she put her arms up for me to pick her up. she said i was cool. she look like us, but i never seen her a day in my life before today."

"us as in you and your parents?"

"me and mike, but more so him than me. anyway, let's do this hygiene so we can eat my stomach touching my back."