XVII

They were worried. Lisa hadn't made contact and Scarlett was clearly up to something. And yet their hands were tied.

They couldn't make a move until thet were certain of Novak's condition. And Scarlett still refused them an audience with him.

Having grown tired of waiting the Gunnulf sisters along with Anna stormed off to go find him. The rest had no choice but to follow.

Finding him proved surprisingly easy. They all knew his scent by heart so following it was easy.

When they found him he was in the garden having tea with Scarlett. Everyone stops at the sight of one another.

Novak jumps up. But before he can say anything Nadia steps forward.

Nadia: He looks perfectly healthy! I certainly see no reason to prevent us from visiting him!

Before Scarlett can respond Novak interjects.

Novak: It was my choice. I didn't feel ready to see all of you yet.

Nadia: What? Why?

Novak: I died Nadia. You don't know what that does to you.

Nadia finds that she has no argument against that. However they all see Anna step closer to him. She stares deep into his eyes for a moment. Then she closes her eyes as a tear escapes her eye.

Anna: I wanted to believe. I did. You look like him. Smell like him. You even sound like him.

Novak: Anna it's me.

Anna: But your eyes are nothing like his. His soul is broken. Yours is simply evil.

Before anyone can respond Anna's eyes glow red and she launches a fireball at Scarlett!

But the fake Novak blocks it with a magical shield!

Anna: Novak couldn't do that. What have you done to him!

They all look at Scarlett with rage filled eyes.

Scarlett: I don't have to answer to any of you.

Suddenly she bursts into a puddle of blood!

Vera: She's running away! I will give chase! Mikoto find Lisa. Cassandra, go give to order to Lorena. Everyone else, subdue Novak. I will drive the demon from his body once this is over.

Everyone: Right!

Vera, Mikoto and Cass all run in different directions with the others standing off against Novak.

Lydia: Everyone who can use magic, attempt to bind him. Everyone else, keep him occupied but do not kill him. And whatever you do, do not underestimate a demon. Otherwise you will die.

They all quickly jump into action, except for Gwen. For the first time in her life she finds her feet frozen in place, unable to move. Her hands shake and her resolve wavers.

Was she scared?

No. This was something else. She couldn't bring herself to harm him. To harm Novak even though she knew this wasn't really Novak.

Feeling someone grab her hand she turns and sees Anna. Anna held her hands and smiled up at her. They understood one another and the feelings they held. And while normally they would be rivals, today they would have to support one another.

Gwen nods and hesitates for one more moment, but does jump into battle.

?????

Cadell was panting heavily as the sweat dripped from him. Something was wrong.