Chapter 2: Rebuild What?

"It's cheap materials," Mason said with a sigh, surveying the area as if he were an expert.

"I know, and it’s not ideal for me to live here, but I don’t have much of a choice," you replied casually.

Mason turned to look at you, a knowing glint in his eyes. "So, you called?"

"What?" You remarked with a hint of amusement, fully aware of what he meant.

"People who don’t have friends call me, remember?" he quipped, causing you to roll your eyes.

"I do have friends; I just don’t know where they are," you retorted, feigning nonchalance despite knowing the truth.

Mason scoffed with amusement before locking eyes with you. "What can I do for you?"

"I need you to find someone who can fix this place up," you answered without hesitation.

"You want me to find someone to rebuild the Avengers Compound?" he asked incredulously, arching an eyebrow. "You’re insane."

"I’ve been that way for a long time," you replied. "But what I meant is someone who can help me build it."

Mason sighed heavily. "Why do you do this to yourself?" His concern was a bit too much for your liking, and when that happened, you preferred to shut it down.

"Just do what I asked. I’ll pay you whatever it takes," you insisted, your tone growing defensive.

"Alright," he agreed with a shrug, heading off to get started. As he left, you couldn’t help but reflect on your own motives.

Why am I doing this?

The answer lay in the thrill—the mystery of what happened to the Avengers. As a kid, you were taught that the Avengers were a sham. After Thanos, you pursued them, meddling in affairs you had no business in, driven by the need to uncover the truth.

Having grown up learning about initiation and secrecy, you refused to believe whatever the media fed you.

"What’s going on?" a man asked, studying a hologram in front of him.

"Sir, a lot has happened. You might want to come down and see this," Agent Hill replied, her tone serious.

It was the first time Hill had contacted Fury since the Thanos incident. Three years of peace had passed, but this seemed more urgent than anything. Hill only reached out to the former Director of SHIELD for critical matters.

"Days? Months?" the man asked, addressing the situation before it escalated.

"Twelve," Hill responded, crossing her arms. "Months. It’s been almost a year since she arrived."

"Her objective?"

"Unknown for now, but we believe she has rebuilt the Avengers Compound," Hill reported. "We’ve been monitoring her, but she’s skilled at evading detection."

"She knows what she’s doing," Fury murmured, contemplating his next move.

"Sir, what should we do?" Hill asked, pulling Fury from his thoughts.

"Stand by for now and await further instructions," Fury replied, his gaze shifting to Natasha, who had been with him all along. "Continue monitoring her."

The hologram flickered out.

Natasha furrowed her brow, eager to understand Fury’s thoughts.

"We’re going back to Earth," Fury finally declared, and Natasha nodded, heading to the pilot seat.

"Alright, traveling from Vormir to Earth 616. Anything else, sir?"

"None."