Chapter 5: Friends & Allies

"Do you always put on this strong front?" Laura asked, her tone teasing as she noted the new serious expression on your face.

"Does it bother you?" You shot her a sidelong glance, catching the smug look she wore.

"No, it’s just…," she trailed off, her gaze fixed on your peripheral. "It’s too serious. It ages you."

Shrugging, you replied, "I didn’t have kids. Seems like that is the only way to age quickly." Her reaction was one of surprise.

"Friends, this is literally why you don’t have any," she mused, standing up and moving toward the window. You remained by your laptop, seemingly unbothered by her comment… for now.

"You’re being childish, and you’re risking your entire identity by staying here instead of at your farm," you retorted, prompting Laura to hum in response for the first time in a while.

"Nick’s outside," she suddenly said.

You glanced at the clock—it was only five, an hour before the agents arrived. Yet, there he was, mingling outside.

Despite knowing she shouldn't, Laura headed downstairs to meet the former Director. Unbeknownst to you, he was accompanied by someone, which prompted Laura to greet them eagerly.

"You have a habit of leaving people behind," you commented as you reached her by the main door.

"Don’t be such a baby," she shot back, ensuring everyone could hear. You rolled your eyes, donning that serious front she was so concerned about.

"I’m not giving it up. I told you just yesterday, and now you’re here again," you complained, not giving Fury a chance to speak first.

"It’s either you take us back in, or I’ll keep bothering your mornings," Fury replied, his gaze fixed on you after greeting Laura.

"God, when did you get so desperate?" you retorted.

"Desperate?" He moved closer, and you met his stare. "I’m not the one stealing a highly classified organization or contacting someone living off-the-grid."

"I’m not stealing anything. And for the record, I didn’t call anyone—she just showed up," you replied, your voice rising with frustration. Fury’s stare was like a flame, stoking your anger, and you hated it. Your temper was something you struggled to control, and showing it now was not ideal, especially with people you barely knew.

"Hey, calm down," Laura intervened, noticing your tense posture and acting quickly.

Your eyes flicked to her before returning to Fury. "I am calm," you said, turning on your heel and walking away.

Laura looked back at the Director, exchanging a brief but meaningful glance before leading them inside after you.

"She’s protective of what she has, especially something she’s worked for all her life. It’s a touchy subject," Laura explained to Fury and his companion.

"You realize she hasn’t been running this place for long, right? It’s only been a year," the newcomer finally spoke up, causing Laura to offer a polite but reserved smile.

Unbeknownst to them, you could hear every word. It wasn’t super hearing—just that they were talking louder than they realized, even in the spacious compound.

"Hey, Nat," Laura started, "you might want to be a little less harsh."

"I’m not being harsh, just stating facts," Natasha replied, purposely loud enough for you to hear, which made your jaw clench.

"If you three want to talk behind my back, at least don’t do it while I’m in the room," you interjected.

"If you’d just agree to what we want, none of this would be necessary," Fury shot back, making you turn to face him instantly.

"If I agreed, more of this would happen," you retorted. "I don’t trust people, especially not someone like you."

"Have I given you a reason not to trust me?" Fury challenged.

"You don’t need to," you spat.

"You were questioned by the government about your actions. You defended us, and now that we’re here asking for your cooperation, you refuse."

Without responding, you turned and continued down the hallway, fists clenched as you struggled to keep your temper in check. It was hard to admit, but Fury was right—you had defended them, and now, faced with them directly, it was proving more difficult than you had imagined.

Once out of sight, the day went on as usual, but with a difference: Laura allowed Fury and Natasha to stay for as long as she was there, ensuring you wouldn’t harm them in their sleep.

"You're letting them stay here?" you asked for what felt like the thirtieth time that day.

"They’re not just staying—they’re living here, whether you like it or not. And don’t fight me on this. You need friends and allies," Laura stated firmly.

 You need friends and allies," Laura stated firmly