Chapter 14: Hot

You had just woken up from another set of nightmare, as you sit silently on your bed. Forcing yourself up, you made your way to your office, the paper was still there on the table, while you pick up the pen on the floor.

You go over the contents again, processing them properly. You know if you signed this you would have a chance, but if you don't then you could go peacefully. But you've never known what peaceful was, so the first one it is. You continued from the single drop of ink earlier, and this time finishing off your signature without any interruptions.

"How are you holding up?" Laura spoke quietly by the door of that office.

Taking in a deep breath. "Like I've been railed by train."

With a mix of concern and empathy, she walked further into the room. "I know it's hard, and I understand your situation right now, but know that I'm here, okay?"

You look up at her and your eyes meet, you nod acknowledging what she said, but there's this thought and it's itching for you to ask, so you did. "Do you think Nat is okay? I mean, I don't care about what she's feeling at all, but like I'm just asking for personal measures, because there's a high possibility she could knock down my door and murder me in my sleep."

She chuckles at your rambling. "She won't do that. She doesn't like you though so don't poke her."

"I think 'doesn't like me' is understatement, she hates me," you return and she shakes her head slowly.

"From what I know her to be, she doesn't hate people easily," she assures and you roll her eyes. "Besides you won her heart the first time, what makes it any different now?"

"Maybe because now I'm the daughter of the woman who took her girlhood away," you grimace at your own words and so does she.

"What happened to her was not your fault," she spoke seriously this time. "You didn't know it was your mother."

"Yeah, but I could've stopped her. Or maybe if I didn't go missing then she wouldn't have had kidnapped girls around the world - I just don't get why she couldn't find me when she can get girls everywhere-"

"Y/n, hey, look at me," you hadn't even noticed that Laura was now in front of you forcing you out of your thoughts. "Stop it, it's not gonna get you anywhere. It'd be best if you go to bed, you have a busy day tomorrow," she adds, side glancing the paper on the table and you slumped your shoulders when you knew she was right.

Looking up at her again. "Do me a favor, go home. I don't want Clint coming at my ass for keeping his wife away for too long, his resignation would be useless if you're here with me."

"I can't leave you alone with Natasha, who knows the moment I walk out of the compound, one of you is on the floor bleeding to death," she argues.

"That is far from happening. Plus, I can handle myself, I'm a big girl now," you argue back and she raises an eyebrow.

"A second ago you were talking about Natasha murdering you in your sleep-"

"I'll be fine, and I know what I said, but I also know that you're exhausted, and probably as we're speaking one of your kids hate me and they've never even met me, and they already think I'm a bad aunt, I can't let Nat get all the credits from those little Barton's," you mumbled the last part because who knew someone else could be listening right now.

She chuckled at your last statement, giving in from your request, so you hugged her good bye from that late/early night before you went back to your bed.

The next morning you found yourself in Fury's office at SHIELD's. He was reading the papers you handed him earlier.

"So you went behind my back?" He asked as he takes a look at you.