Chapter 13: Shattered Truths

Just as you thought you were getting close to someone else other than Laura who was not here often, the following days Natasha became distant, and you didn't give it much of a thought because maybe she's just like that, so you left her on her own devices.

"Mr. Secretary," you shook hands with him, and he smiled, grateful for the gesture. "I didn't expect you'd be back so soon," you add, knowing how to tickle this old man.

Ross raised his brows, his expression unyielding. "When duty calls, I don't take vacations. Now, let's get to work. Time's not on our side." He hands you a dark envelope.

You flick through its pages. The contents are all in your favor.

"All you have to do is sign," he states.

"That's it?" You look at him.

"On your behalf, yes, but you need Fury's sign too," he adds, and you hummed in response.

"That's not gonna be easy," you mumbled and he smirked.

"You'll find your way around him," he assured. "Now, I must leave you to it, the nation is at the palm of my hands," he grunts as he stands up from his chair.

"Thank you for doing this," you smile at him, standing up so you can see eye to eye.

"Come here," he pulled you in for a quick hug and whispered, "It's the least I could do."

He turned to leave with a smile on his face but once he was out of your sight, you knew he was back to his grumpy old look.

You looked down at the papers lying on the desk. Clicking the pen in your hand, the ink made a mark on the white sheet, but before you could further input your signature, you heard a gun click.

Looking up, you were met by a pair of green eyes. "Drop the pen," she demands, gun pointed at you.

You scoffed. "What are you playing at Nat?"

"Drop the fucking pen, Y/n," She states firmly, approaching you.

"Make me," you challenged, and she didn't hesitate to pull the trigger, but you recoiled fast enough to miss it, which surprised Natasha, but she recovered immediately.

You ducked behind the desk, knowing you'd never make out of here alive if you didn't disarm her. You heard the gun click again, and you listened to her footsteps. Moving fast, you ran in a different direction than she was going. Tackling her down to the floor and pinning her hand that has the gun up above her head. She glared at you and you smirked.

"I told you, just a setback," you remind her, and she swallows thickly; she knows you could end her there right now. "And you're sloppy," you say just above a whisper.

"You're a fucking liar," she spat.

"Thanks, love," you return, and it only infuriates her.

It was a hot minute on the floor but before either of you could make another move, Laura was at the door.
"Y/n get off her," she demands. You stare still at Natasha your jaw tensed. "I swear if you don't move-" You stood up then, turning your back from the redhead, but she took advantage of this and put you in a headlock.
"Nat," Laura was alarmed then.

"Give me one good reason that I shouldn't blow her head right now," Natasha tightens her hold on you.

"What did you tell her?" Laura was looking at you.

"What are you talking about, Lau? She's about to kill me, and you're asking about what I told her?" You spa,t and she rolls her eyes.

"Nat, calm down, there's no need to kill anyone right now," Laura tries. "What did she tell you?"