° chapter twenty nine

Dohee was exhausted, almost even crazed, her brain was fried

She was far too tired to go into school but also couldn't stay asleep past 8 o'clock. She had skipped her shift at the café yesterday to try and finish all the work she had piled up and she did, lucky for her there were no more administrative tasks left for the time being. She had managed to send in both her drafts for the committee and her scholarship. She also finished the research which was the easiest of her tasks. Part of her regretted not trying hard enough during the meeting to finish it, she would have had some more time in her hands later in the day if she did.

She spent about 45 minutes after everyone had left cleaning the kitchen and her sisters' room, then made her way down the café.

Taeyong was back from their family business trip abroad so they were prepared yesterday when she called in to say she wouldn't be able to make it. She was hoping to get some revision in the time she was here but she had been here an hour and as per usual, things didn't go to plan. She could barely focus on anything. She felt like a zombie, like her insides were sucked out of her. She would sit there and stare at the same spot for so long, occasionally, Taeyong or Johnny will call out from behind the counter reminding her to blink and move and work.

Taeyong and Johnny had come over a couple minutes ago and took a seat, Johnny beside her and Taeyong opposite. It was quite quiet in the café and the roads, a nice calm before the influx of students and office workers came marching around for their lunch. Her head was resting on top of a few books that she had taken out of her bag and abandoned. All that can be seen of her was the mop of messy, tangled hair and it wasn't a pretty sight. The two guys sat beside her, chatting away about the latest media event, actors, idols, their red carpet looks, their opinions on it. Dohee threw a sloppy thumbs up if she the same opinions they did, not bothering to lift her head.

The girl was so painfully tired, eyes so heavy and droopy but not shutting long enough for her to get some peaceful, well deserved shut-eye. Johnny's fingers mindlessly fiddled with the tangled bits of the ends of her hair, pulling a few strands out as he played, the screams leaving her mouth getting quieter ad quieter instead replaced by feeble punches.

"Girl, you need some sleep."

"No shit, Johnny," the sarcasm rich and dripping. "If I could, I would. Do you think I want to be awake right now?"
Her words slurred together but they understood.

"Do you mean like dead or asleep?"

Dohee turned to look at the boy to her right, head not actually moving off the books, irritated, eyebrows furrowing so hard that her eyes were barely opened.

"Well, I can't put it past you!" he exclaimed.

Johnny, being the bully that he was, started laughing, claiming she looked like a raisin which in turn, caused Taeyong to laugh too. She ignored them, shifting her head again so that her forehead was pressed against the books and the light of the room wasn't hurting her eyes.