° chapter twenty six

Dohee hauled her basket through the aisles of the supermarket, slowly, one foot after the other

Dohee hauled her basket through the aisles of the supermarket, slowly, one foot after the other. Her feet were sore from the shift she had just finished up at the café. Her parents didn't even put up a fight this time when she told them she was going back to work, they were running extremely low with their recent pay checks and the new benefit cuts being introduced wasn't, well, benefitting them. There was a shared concern about her grades, those were left unsaid for the better in that conversation but it was there. Their growing concern,1 seemed to be that their debts were only going to continue to grow and all of their bills this month were close to going unpaid. All in all, it was not looking like a financially secure few months for the Kyus. They hadn't done a proper grocery shop in about three weeks and the new set of discount coupons for the store next to Arôme Coffeehouse arrived a few days ago. It only made sense for her to do the grocery run, it was close to her work so no one was actually going out of their way.

She had already grabbed their share of fruits, vegetables, bread, coffee and a few snacks, the last thing on her mental list was toiletries. She knew she needed pads, alongside soaps and shampoos, as for their pads though, she couldn't for the life of her remember which ones they were running out of. Having three menstruating women and no money wasn't proving to be a useful combination, they were sold at the prices of houses when they should be free. At the moment she couldn't afford to buy packs that she had at home. She just needed the one they were most in urgent need of, she just didn't know which one it was.
oh for heaven's sake
She took her eyes off the various rows of pads, grabbing the hand soaps, shampoos and shower gels off the shelf, making use of the generous 'two for one' offer they had going on. Once she had finished chucking those into her already full basket, she realised she had no other way but to call her sisters to get some information. This is the kind of thing they were hopeless at but her brain wasn't really doing it's job either. She pulled her phone closer to her ear after hitting the dial button, waiting for someone on the other end to pick up.

"Hey."

"Hi."

"What you doing?"

"Watching TV."

"How about Mins?"

"She's with me."

"Okay, have you ate?"

"Yeah, we did. What's up?"

"Oh, yeah, um, run up to the bathroom and check which pads we have left in the cabinet please."

"Why?"

"I don't want to buy anything we already have."

"We are going to end up using it anyway, why does it matter?"

"I'm a bit broke at the moment, love. I can't afford to buy things we already have."