° chapter thirty one

but it's fine 'cause I can tell that I'm projecting half the time

[Sunday, 12:04]

Dohee stood by the stove, cutting up the last of the fruits that they had lying around, placing them neatly onto a plate. They weren't necessarily the freshest of fruit but they weren't exactly accustomed to that lifestyle. Despite keeping to herself in a corner of the kitchen, she didn't feel so lonely. Her sisters screeched as they were chased around by Sora, the TV was running in the background, the two mothers sat giggling, immersed in their own chatter, rolling kimbaps at the table. Something about the two families getting together always brought some life back into the house, something reminiscent of childhood, somewhat nostalgic. There was one thing better than that though, she was alone with the adults just next door. She actually stood a chance of hearing any tea they had to spill.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you? You know, Youngwan?"

"Your cousin?"

"Neighbour. Same thing," Mijoo replied, "Anyway, so apparently, her soulmate's family asked for dowry. Or something?"

"Oh my God, no!"

"She was crying about it on the phone yesterday."

"People still do that?"

"I know, it's a bit scary, isn't?"

"Do they have money? Is it a rich people thing?"

"No! No!" she quickly dismissed, "He's from the same area, the village."

"Oh God, that's horrid."

"I know, they don't have anything to give either."

"What are the kids thinking?"

"I don't know, she didn't speak about them but I have met him before. He seemed quite nice, actually. They were very much in love."

"I hope he gets her out of that situation, it's so silly."

"We got lucky though didn't we?"
Yoonae could only agree to that.

"Oh, do you remember Miseon Eonni?"

"Yes. Oh, has he finally graduated?"
Yoonae, Sora's mum, was the more gentle, more calm counterpart of Mijoo, only a few years older too - calm but would never turn down an opportunity to gossip.

"No, he's only in his fourth year."

"Aren't most degrees just three years?"

"Yeah but he's doing a medical degree. How many years does he have left Dohee?"

"Two," she answered, placing down the fruit on the table, taking a seat beside Sora's mother. She picked some dried seaweed, setting it out in front of her choosing to help roll the final few.

"Anyways, that's not the point. Basically, I saw her in the store the other day and she said that he met his soulmate!"

Yoonae's eyes widened, staring in shock. Mijoo leaned forward, nodding slowly, her smile wide. One second more and the ladies may have started squealing. Their lives had gotten a bit boring recently and this was just gossip they needed to spice it up a little. Dohee too was intrigued, her eyebrows raised as she continued to spread the rice across the sheet, that was a surprising turn of events, knowing how he'd been during high school.