Brace For Impact

Theo woke up the next morning on the couch, his head throbbing from a relentless hangover. The light filtering through the curtains was harsh, making his headache feel even worse. He groaned, trying to sit up, but a wave of dizziness made him collapse back down.

The fragmented memories of the previous night came flooding back—Ariel's hurt expression, Titan's uncomfortable explanations, and his own desperate attempts to deflect blame. Theo's stomach churned with guilt as he recalled the confrontation. He had hurt Ariel deeply, and now, he needed to find her and make things right.

With one hand clutching his throbbing head, he pushed himself up from the couch and stumbled toward their bedroom. He knocked on the door, his voice weak. "Ariel? Are you in there?"

When there was no response, he tried again, calling out her name with a bit more urgency. "Ariel?"

Still no answer. His heart pounded faster as he turned the handle and pushed the door open, peering inside. The room was empty, but he breathed a sigh of relief when he saw her belongings—her clothes, her phone charger—still scattered around. At least she hadn't started moving out or making any rash decisions.

He took a moment to collect himself, leaning against the doorframe as he tried to steady his racing heart and the pounding in his head.

Fumbling for his phone, his hands still shaky from the hangover and the residual effects of the previous night. He quickly dialed Ariel's number, hoping against hope that she might answer despite knowing full well that he was blocked. The call rang and rang with no answer, and his heart sank with each passing moment.

He tried calling her again, but the call went straight to voicemail. Frustration and disbelief washed over him. He had messed up so badly, and now he was paying the price. He groaned, running a hand through his disheveled hair, the weight of his regret heavy on his shoulders.

Slumped against the doorframe, Theo's mind raced with thoughts of what could have been done differently. If only he hadn't been so reckless. Deep down, he knew Titan hadn't drugged him. But.. admitting that meant accepting that he had put himself in this position. It was easier to believe Titan had drugged him than to face the truth of his colossal fuck-up. He had let himself get caught up in the whirlwind of bad decisions, and now he was facing the consequences.

The thought of taking full responsibility for his actions was daunting. How could he possibly come back from this? It was easier to deflect blame, to point fingers at Titan and the circumstances, than to look in the mirror and face the truth. Even with this reality, a part of him clung to denial.

If Titan hadn't been constantly talking about how miserable marriage was for people, about how being tied down was a mistake, maybe I wouldn't have done this, he thought to himself. Maybe I wouldn't have let things get so out of hand.

Theo's frustration with the situation bubbled to the surface. She wouldn't leave him and everything they'd had over one mistake, would she? They had been through so much together, surely they could get past this.

Theo took a deep, shaky breath, pushing himself away from the doorframe. He couldn't change what had happened, but he could start working on fixing things with her. "She just needed some space, but she came back, so that says it all. We're going to be okay. She can't just leave me and our future," he said out loud to himself.

Theo spent the next few hours trying to regain some control. There wasn't much to clean but the mindless activity would help. He hadn't been home much, avoiding the reminder of Ariel's absence. He tidied the living room, straightened up the kitchen, and organized the bedrooms, putting away stray clothes and making the bed.

After a quick shower and changing into clean clothes, he paced the living room, glancing at the clock every few minutes. That went on for some time. Each passing moment intensified his anticipation and fear, replaying the events of the previous night in his mind. He knew he couldn't let himself spiral again; he had to stay strong.

Just as Theo began to lose hope, he heard the doorknob begin to turn. His heart leapt into his throat, and he turned to face the entrance, a wave of relief washing over him.