october 30th

it had been a whole week

a whole week of back and forth.
a whole week of stress and preparation.
a whole week of trying to win moonbyul over and miserably failing.

after so much struggling, so many sleepless nights, everything was finally set. october 30th. this was the last day. watching the last rehearsal come to an end, moonbyul stands from her seat and claps along with the small audience that was her class, more for herself and her work than for the actors.

she falls back weakly on her chair. she wasn't sure her body could handle any more of this. as the clapping died down, she eventually decided to speak. "amazing job you guys. i sure hope you will showcase the same kind of performance tomorrow. make sure to rest well"

she dismissed everyone. moonbyul leans back on the chair, taking deep breaths and trying to calm herself, the room was spinning around and the air didn't seem enough to fill her lungs.

she heads to the backstage, supporting herself on every surface within her reach. she had reached her breaking point. the exhaustion and the stress had become unbearable, so unbearable that if she could go back in the moment they charged her with such responsibility she would simply turn the teacher down. was high grades really worth all of this?

she felt sick and it was not a good sign. her legs were barely supporting her up as she leaned heavily on one of the desks, full of makeup and acting props. she closed her eyes, willing the dizziness to subside when she heard footsteps approaching. she raised her head slowly to see riki and sunoo standing there, concern etched on both of their faces.

"Byulie are you okay?" sunoo asks softly, trying to get a clear look at her face. riki raises his eyebrows.

byulie?

"clearly not moron" he muttered to sunoo as he slowly approaches her. moonbyul eventually straightenes up, her vision blurred. it was like she was going to pass out at any moment now. "i'm fine i need rest" her voice barely comes out as she responds, striving to leave already.

riki grabs her shoulder, stopping her before she could do so. "have you eaten anything today?" he asks, noticing how her pretty face looked concerningly dull, her eyes were droopy and tired and her usually pink cheeks no longer had that adorable blush.

"i uh. . ." she paused for a long moment, riki got his answer without her responding. he lets out a chuckle of disbelief. "how is this goddamn event more important than your health? have you lost your mind?"

"you should try being in my place" she asserted and her bottom lip quivered, her eyes welling up with tears. she knew riki meant well, she knew that, but she was so damn overwhelmed she really could not take anyone scolding her at the moment.

taking in her reaction, guilt washes over riki like a tidal wave. he reaches out to pull her closer and as he wraps his arms around her, he realizes that sunoo had left them both alone. she sniffles quietly a couple times, wrapped in his warm embrace. moonbyul quickly wipes her tears, feeling pathetic for crying over nothing.