Chapter Seventeen:"What if They Don't"

The fluorescent lights cast a cold, unflattering glow, amplifying my sense of exposure, sending chills down my spine.

I walked quickly, head down, hoping to avoid any attention. However, whispers and sidelong glances trailed me like shadows.
Then as if on cue….
*"Isn’t that her?"*
*"Yeah, the one from the bulletin board."

My pace quickened, my heart pounding. Rounding a corner, I  encountered a group of students who rushed to block my path. Their eyes glittered with malice.

*"Well,what do we have here,look! It’s the school slut!"*

Laughter erupted, and before I  could react, a crumpled piece of paper hit me. More followed, accompanied by jeers.

"Nice pics, Carmen! Got any more?"*

Humiliation burned my cheeks as I tried to push through the crowd. A sticky liquid splashed against my hair, the scent of soda filling my nostrils.
I raised my head to see our class bully, Jason standing at the edge of the pavilion with an unreadable expression on his face. He just stood there, I flinched expecting him to join them but his expression seemingly morphed into what looked perturbed. Or was I imagining it. I scurried past him fighting back tears. I could literally feel an intense gaze boring through me. I  broke into a run, the mocking laughter echoing behind me.

---

Breathless and shaken, I finally reached the dormitory entrance. Just in time ,I saw Aisha waiting,her face etched with concern.

"Carmen, what happened?"

The words were like a dam breaking. I collapsed into Aisha’s arms, my body wracked with sobs.

*"Someone... someone posted my nudes. Everyone’s seen them."*

Aisha's expression shifted from worry to fury.

*"Who would do something so cruel? We need to tell the administration."*

I shook my head, tears streaming down my pathetic face.

* *"What if they don’t believe me? What if they think I did it?"*

Aisha’s grip tightened on my shoulders, her voice calm but resolute.

"We’ll make them listen. We’ll find out who did this."*

I nodded, the resolve in Aisha’s voice grounding me al little.

"Thank you. I don't know what I’d do without you."*

Aisha smiled, her eyes softening.
"You’re not alone, Carmen. Let's get you cleaned up."*

---

We made our way to the dormitory bathroom. Luckily it was empty,I wasn't ready for another bout of humiliation.The sterile, tiled walls reflected the harsh fluorescent light, further amplifying my disheveled appearance in the mirror. Aisha helped me wash the soda out of my hair, the warm water providing a brief respite.

*"Better?" She asked staring into my eyes with concern.

I nodded, the simple act of cleaning up making me feel marginally more in control.
But I soon crumbled when my dilemma resurfaced in my mind.
---

6:45pm.Ella Reine Hall….

Back in our dorm room, we sat on my bed, a quiet determination settling over me.
The other girls in the room stared at me weirdly and exchanged glances.

*"We need to go to the Vice Principal first thing. This can’t be ignored."*

I nodded, the weight of the day still heavy on my shoulders.