(41) And I Must Scream

Bowser woke up.

What even happened? As far back as his brain was concerned - well... He folded his arms and mentally racked his brain for answers. "Mario stomped me on the Moon... Peach was in a wedding dress... I was in one too..."

"Got some weird powers... from some weird glitch thing... Weird powers... weird glitch thingy..."

Being left alone was perfect for him to figure out the clues. "Oh! Right! I touched a weird crystal! After it promised me I could beat Mario with it... But... where am I now...?"

Bowser looked around to see nothing. A completely empty field. It was almost piercing from how pitch-black it was. Bowser even considered he was still closing his eyes for a second. He blinked a couple of times to make sure, but nope, even when his eyes were wide open, he couldn't see anything except his own body.

"Some sort of void... What on earth am I doing in a void?" He stomped around, but couldn't see any beginning or end. Was this retribution for all the crimes he committed in the Mushroom Kingdom?

"HELLOOOOO? ANYONE HEEEERE?" Bowser yelled.

He scoffed, thinking himself as a fool for even trying, when suddenly, a demonic voice called out.

"Hah hah hah! Looks like my host gained a little consciousness! Not that it matters!"

Bowser tightened his fists. "Show yourself!"

"No need for that! Allow me to make myself known, though. I'm Efreet, and I'm taking over your body! And no, I don't mean it metaphorically, like Kotori's little cute nickname... I have a certain... task that my creator sent upon me. And I'm not going to let you sabotage it."

"So what you're saying is-!" Bowser's teeth clashed together in anger.

"That's right! I'm taking over your body. Your brain is filled with clever jokes! Thanks for the personality boost, lizard-brain!"

"Feh! Just you wait! You can't mind control me forever! I'm going to bust out, then I'm gonna go defeat Mario!"

"Oh, I think what I witness is far greater than your... little simple-minded goals. Sleep now. You're a bother."

"Why you little-!" Bowser couldn't even reject, as a fiery tornado consumed him, the heat causing him to get dizzy and eventually pass out.

(***)

"What are you most afraid of, Bowser?"

"..."

A new unfamiliar voice had entered the scene.

Oh, great, more voices. Is that you, Bonechill? Never thought I'd meet you in the Underwhere. Bowser thought, as he got up.

"...Axes. Heights..."

"Ah, your first battle with Marcien."

"...Marcien? What are you, someone from Rogueport?" Bowser berated the mysterious unidentifiable voice. "It's Mario. Thought you'd at least get THAT right."

"It was never 'Mario' to me... Regardless, I understand. This, Bowser, is your chance to prove yourself."

A strange blocky fortress materialized all around Bowser.

"Harr, ribbit!" A croaky voice... well, croaked out. "Is that you, Bowser? It's been ever so long!"

"..." The Koopa King folded his arms. Of course he had to reunite with the evil King of Subcon. "Yeah? I have trouble sleeping. What do I owe it to you, Wart?"