(14) Serious Fanservice

The setting sun was settling down into the sunset-filled Tengu City. Trains were passing by, Shido was walking, everything seemed normal.

Except it was not. He was thinking about what Origami said back then. Five years ago, her parents were incinerated by the Tengu Fire. All thanks to the flame Spirit. Kotori can't control her own powers, and now both girls are scared. Shido remembered Mario looking a bit scared when facing Efreet too. Everyone at once was in peril.

"Nobody has any connection to what really happened." Shido thought to himself. "Saving Kotori is something only I can do."

========================

"Aren't you a bit glad? After all, you'll be discharged tomorrow." Ryouko was talking to Origami while she was still in the hospital bed. "You can take it easy for one more day. I heard school was closed anyway. You should relax once in a while." She then took off.

"Yes, ma'am."

"Oh, I almost forgot." Ryouko turned to Origami. "Some top-of-the-line equipment will be delivered to the base two days from now. Because it's not something you can see every day, look forward to it."

========================

"The Ocean Park? That theme park with a ton of pools?" Shido was planning with Reine and Kannazuki about the date with Kotori.

"That is correct." Reine confirmed. "Everyone at headquarters agreed that it's the venue most likely to make your date with Kotori a success."

"Indeed!" Kannazuki half-shouted. "The image of the commander's innocent and racy figure glimmering in a swimsuit is something that can only be burnt into our eyes during this time of the year and at that wonderful place!"

Shido just.. gave Kannazuki the death stare. "Could you please keep that to yourself?"

Reine coughed. "There is still one more thing, Shin: I have organized a training session for you."

"A training session? Count me in! In order to save Kotori, I'll do anything!"

Reine just nodded at this. Shido would probably take back those words very soon.

========================

"Aaah.. ha ha.." Mario felt warmth. Mario and Luigi. Brothers by blood, finally reunited, all was right in the world.

"Alright, Mario, give me the scoop." Luigi's voice lowered. "How bad is it?"

"Really, really bad. We should be fine. With you by my side... We might be able to barely survive."

"Barely is an understatement

"Barely is an understatement." Luigi quivered. "I've seen that flame spirit."

Mario put his hands on a table. "I know! And that's why I need all the help I can-a get! Especially with someone like my brother! Can I count on you, Luigi?"