Chapter twelve

The next day - Monday

Annika sat on the edge of the hospital bed, her fingers fidgeting with the edge of the stiff, white sheet. The sterile smell of antiseptic hung in the air, mingling with the soft hum of machines and the distant murmur of voices from the hallway. The thin, papery hospital gown she wore felt foreign and uncomfortable, a constant reminder of where she was. After spending the night for observation, the doctors had finally cleared her to go home, but instead of relief, all she felt was a growing knot of anxiety.

She had never spent a night in the hospital before, and though the nurses had been kind and the doctors reassuring, it had been a long, restless night filled with worries. With constant questioning from her foster parents and doctors, she was exhausted. Now, the idea of leaving felt almost as overwhelming as staying.

A gentle knock on the door broke her from her thoughts. A nurse, the same one who had been checking on her throughout the night, stepped in with a warm smile. "Good morning, Annika. How are you feeling?"

"Okay, I think," Annika replied, her voice barely above a whisper. She forced herself to meet the nurse's eyes, hoping to convey more confidence than she felt.

"That's good to hear," the nurse said kindly. "The doctor has signed off on your discharge papers, so you're free to go home as soon as you're ready. Your foster mom and dad are waiting for you in the lobby."

Annika nodded, but the knot in her stomach tightened. Home. The word should have brought comfort, but instead, it made her feel even more uncertain. What if things weren't the same when she got back? How will her foster brother react to her coming home? Would they want to kick her out know they know about the abuse she faced?

The nurse seemed to sense her hesitation. She walked over and placed a gentle hand on Annika's shoulder. "It's normal to feel a little nervous after a night like this, but you did great. And you're going to be just fine."

Annika swallowed hard and gave a small nod. "Thank you."

The nurse helped her change out of the hospital gown and back into her own clothes, a simple pair of jeans and a sweater that felt like a shield against the outside world. As she laced up her shoes, she tried to focus on the small, familiar motions, hoping they would ground her.

When she was finally ready, the nurse led her out of the room and down the long hallway. The hospital seemed quieter now, the early morning light filtering through the windows, casting a soft glow on the polished floors. Each step Annika took felt heavier, as if she were wading through thick mud.

As they neared the exit, she spotted her foster parents standing up from the plastic chairs in the waiting area. Ms Carter's face lit up with a warm, reassuring smile as soon as she saw Annika. Mr Carter pulled her in for a hug which surprised Annika so she hesitated to hug back but eventually hugged him back.

"There you are, sweetie," Ms Carter said, her voice full of warmth and relief. She opened her arms, and without thinking, Annika walked right into the embrace. The familiar scent of Ms Carter's perfume and the softness of her sweater made some of Annika's tension melt away.

"How are you feeling?" Ms Carter asked, pulling back slightly to look at her.

"A little nervous," Annika admitted, her voice trembling.

Ms Carter nodded, her expression understanding. "That's completely normal. But you're strong, and we're going to take it one step at a time, okay? How about we head home, get you settled, meet the boys as they are very worried and then just take it easy for the day?"

"Okay," Annika agreed, feeling a bit of the pressure lifted and relieved that the boys still like her. The thought of going home and just resting, without any expectations, made the idea of leaving a little less daunting.