Chapter seventeen

As she heard the bell ring signaling that lunch was over and it was time for the next lesson. She got up quickly and started to walk back toward the entrance of the school. Her heart raced as she navigated the bustling hallway, her mind a swirl of thoughts and worries. The bell rang again, signaling the start of her fourth lesson: biology. She glanced at her schedule again, reassuring herself that she was headed in the right direction.

As she approached the classroom, she couldn't help but feel a flutter of nerves. Taking a deep breath, she pushed the door open and stepped inside. As Annika walked into the biology classroom, she could feel the eyes of her classmates on her. She had arrived a few minutes late, the result of getting lost in the maze of hallways. The room was filled with the low hum of students talking, but as Mr. Bently looked up from his desk, the noise died down immediately.

Mr. Bently's sharp gaze settled on Annika. He adjusted his round glasses and cleared his throat, his voice cutting through the silence with a crisp, authoritative tone. "Miss, you're late. I expect punctuality from all my students."

Annika's cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "I'm sorry, Mr Bently I got lost," she stammered, hoping to explain herself.

Mr. Bently's expression didn't soften. He gave her a stern look. "That's no excuse. Being late disrupts the class and shows a lack of respect for the lesson. I suggest you make sure it doesn't happen again."

Annika nodded quickly, her hands clutching the straps of her backpack tightly. "Yes, sir. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again" she said as her cheeks burned.

Mr. Bently's gaze remained firm, but he nodded slightly. "Very well. I'll let it go this time since it's your first day. But remember, I expect everyone to be on time. Now, please find a seat and try to catch up."

Her eyes scanned the room, searching for Charlotte. There she was, sitting near the front, her red curly hair catching the light as she read a book.

Relief washed over Annika, and she made her way over to Charlotte, her heart calming a bit as she approached. "Hey!" she greeted, her voice slightly shaky but genuine.

"Annika! I'm so glad you made it," Charlotte replied, beaming at her. "I was worried you wouldn't beagle to find the classroom"

"Me too," Annika said, settling into the seat next to her. She could feel her nerves start to ease as she focused on the familiar face beside her.

Charlotte leaned closer to Annika, her voice low as she gave her a brief overview of Mr. Bently. "Okay, so Mr. Bently is our biology teacher, and, well, he's not exactly known for being warm and fuzzy. He's pretty old, with gray hair and these round glasses that seem to see everything. He wears these tweed jackets with elbow patches, which makes him look like a classic, grumpy professor."

Charlotte glanced at Annika, who was still a bit rattled from her earlier encounter with Mr. Bently. "He can be really strict, especially if you're late or if you interrupt his lessons. He doesn't tolerate much, and he can snap if he thinks you're not paying attention.but don't worry since it was your first day am sure he will forget about it" she said quietly as Mr Bentley was talking.

Annika nodded, her nerves settling a bit with the understanding that she had a chance to make a better impression tomorrow.

During the lesson, Annika occasionally glanced at Charlotte, who was taking notes enthusiastically and sharing little comments that made Annika smile. The subject matter of ecosystems and the relationships within them was fascinating, and Annika found herself drawn in despite her initial anxiety.

As the class continued, Annika felt her confidence grow. With Charlotte by her side, she felt like she could be herself. They participated in discussions, and Annika found herself contributing ideas, feeling more comfortable with each passing moment.