2 - 21st Century Girl

Cebu, Philippines – March 27, 2024

"What are you doing in my house?!" I demanded, my voice shaking with confusion and anger.

The woman's eyes widened, and she took a step back.

"Your house? I think you've got the wrong place. This is my house." She replied.

"Are you going to a costume party perhaps?" She added

"No, it's not!" I shot back. "I don't know who you are or how you got in, but you need to leave. Now." I insisted.

She frowned, her grip tightening on the device in her hand. "I'm not going anywhere. If anyone needs to leave, it's you. You're the one trespassing. You're definitely at the wrong address"

"Trespassing?!" I nearly laughed, but there was no humor in it. "Ako-a ning balay" This is my house

The woman's expression softened slightly, but she didn't budge. "Hindi kita gets, the previous owner moved out years ago. I bought this place fair and square. I don't know who you are, but you're scaring me.

"This is my house! Will you just go away?!" I yell

"This isn't your home anymore!" she snapped back, her voice rising with a mixture of fear and anger. "You need to leave before I call the police!"

Before I could respond, she slammed the door in my face, the sound echoing in my ears like a gunshot. I stood there, stunned, staring at the closed door. My heart pounded in my chest, a mixture of panic and disbelief coursing through me.

"No!" I shouted, my voice breaking. I pounded on the door with both fists, the wood rattling under the force of my blows. "This is my house! You can't just lock me out! Let me in!"

The door remained firmly shut, the only sound in the air the frantic thudding of my fists. I banged harder, my desperation growing with every passing second. "Please! This is all a mistake! I don't know what's happening, but this is my home! Let me in!"

There was no answer, just the cold, unyielding surface of the door beneath my hands. My fists began to ache, but I didn't stop. I couldn't stop. Tears welled up in my eyes as the reality of the situation began to sink in.

"Please," I whispered, my voice barely audible now. "I just want to go home..."

But the door stayed closed, and the house I had known for years—my house—now sheltered an intruder. I slumped against the door, my strength finally giving out, and let the tears fall.

Suddenly, the door cracked open just enough for her to poke her head out. "It's 2024, you can't just go to other people's land and claim it as yours. Who are your role models? The Spaniards?" she sneered, a smug look on her face.

2024? My blood ran cold. She had to be out of her mind—that's decades into the future. The thought of an intruder with a questionable mental state was a threat I wasn't prepared to handle. How did she even get in? Did I forget to lock the back door? Did she somehow knock me out while I was outside? Maybe that would explain the excruciating pain I felt.

"Are you kidding me right now?" I shot back, my voice trembling with a mix of confusion and anger. "It's 1959! Do you have some screws loose or something?"

Her smug expression faltered, replaced by a worried look. "1959?" she repeated, almost to herself, a flicker of doubt crossing her face. "You're not serious, right? That's not even funny."

I could see her brows furrowing as she stared at me, concern and confusion battling for dominance in her eyes. It was as if, for a brief moment, she was questioning everything she knew, just as I was.