6.) New Realizations

As the morning light bathed the hospital room in a warm glow, Priya found herself lost in thought, her gaze lingering on Rohan.

Rohan, sensing her gaze, gave her hand a gentle squeeze. “You’re really okay, right? No more surprises?”

Priya nodded, her lips curling into a small soft smile. “No more surprises.”

Rohan’s relief was noticeable, and he relaxed back into his chair, though he didn’t let go of her hand.

Finally, Priya broke the silence. “Rohan, why did you come to the college last night? I mean, it was late and...”

Rohan hesitated for a moment before answering, his voice soft. “I don’t really know, Priya. I just… had a feeling. I couldn’t stop thinking about you, and something told me to check on you.”

Priya’s heart skipped a beat at his words. She hadn’t expected such care, and it made her realize just how much HE cared for her. It was strange to think that just a few weeks ago, they were little more than acquaintances, teasing each other. But now, things had changed, there was a new depth to their relationship that neither of them had anticipated.

“I’m glad you did,” Priya admitted quietly. “I don’t know what would have happened if you weren’t there.”

Before she could respond, the door to her room creaked open, and her parents entered, followed by Kabir. Their worried expressions softened as they saw Priya sitting up, looking much better than the night before.

“Priya!” her mother exclaimed, rushing to her side. “How are you feeling, beta?”

“I’m okay, Mamaa,” Priya assured her, giving her a reassuring smile.

Her father nodded, though his expression was still serious.

Her mother’s eyes shifted to Rohan, who was still holding Priya’s hand. A knowing smile played on her lips. “Thank you, Rohan. For being there for Priya.”

Rohan shook his head, his tone modest. “It was nothing, aunty. I’m just glad she’s okay.”

Kabir, ever the observer, grinned mischievously. “Di, you should have seen the way Rohan bhaiya was running around last night. He didn’t even sit down until he knew you were going to be fine.”

Priya’s eyes widened in surprise, and she turned to look at Rohan, who was suddenly very interested in the floor. “Is that true?”

Rohan shrugged, a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. “I was just worried about you, that’s all.”

Vikram ji observed everything from the corner of his eyes.

The room was filled with a warm, lighthearted atmosphere as they continued to chat. Priya’s parents, reassured by the doctor’s updates, finally began to relax.

Eventually, Priya’s parents decided to let her rest, and they left the room, taking Kabir with them. As soon as the door closed behind them, the room felt quieter, more intimate. Priya turned to Rohan, who was still sitting by her side, his eyes fixed on her.

“Rohan,” she began, her voice barely above a whisper, “why are you being so nice to me?”

Rohan blinked, surprised by the question. “What do you mean?”

Priya bit her lip, trying to find the right words. “I mean, we’ve always just… joked around, teased each other. But now, it feels different. You’re different.”

Rohan was silent for a moment, his expression thoughtful. “I didn’t expect it either, Priya. But ever since I got to know you, really know you, I’ve started to see things differently. You’re not just some girl I met at a party. You’re… special.”