Chapter 11

Samaira

Age 12

I am playing in the garden with my kitchen set, as mamma said I make a mess out of all the kitchen utensils in my room as it is difficult to pick everything up, and living it on the floor can be harmful for me, it can prick my feet, I can get so careless at times mamma says this alot, so mamma said to play outside in the garden, till then she will bake my favourite cake.

Baba and I like the cake of same flavour so baba told mamma to bake the cake as I wanted to eat so I requested baba and baba told mamma to make a cake for me, but mamma would have said no to me if I had asked her as I already ate so many chocolates this week so I asked baba to tell mamma to make a cake for me and after baba told mamma, mamma immediately agreed to make the cake. By the way it's mine and Baba's top secret, we always team up against mamma. It's fun.

I can smell the sweet aroma of the cake in our garden as the kitchen has an adjoined glass door to the garden, it was slightly open.

We have a very big garden with lots of plants and big trees. Sometimes baba and mamma play hide and seek in our garden with me. Baba told me the names of all the trees and plants we have in our garden, but I do not remember all the names.

We have amar uncle who takes care of the whole garden, currently he is behind those big trees cutting the grown up leaves of the small plants so they can grow evenly, amar uncle told me once that we need to cut the branches of the leaves so they can grow nicely, so he is cutting them to make them grow nice.

Amar uncle is an old man. He sometimes brings his granddaughter with him. I like to play with her. Her name is Chinu, short form of chinmayi. But she didn't come today. So I'm playing all by myself.

Mamma said that if I will be a good girl she will take me to the temple tomorrow, it's mine and mamma's favourite place, we go there twice a week.

We missed it this week so we will be going there tomorrow as mamma promised, so I have been a good girl since yesterday. Also I didn't even take chocolates from the fridge without asking mamma, I didn't even leave food on my plate, I ate everything.

I had successfully placed every kitchen utensil on the mat . I just needed to call mamma so that she could play with me.

Even though I am 12 years old, a big girl like mamma says I like to play with mamma. I like to sit with her and tell her everything that I did during the whole day. Mamma said that in a few days I will have a brother or sister to play with, she said she and baba are going to bring me a little sibling so I won't be bored anymore and will be a big sister.

I like it. I will be called a big sister. I can also have my own little brother or sister to play with just like my friends in school. All my friends have a sibling to play with. I also wanted one and I will get it now.

Today baba is home but he is working on his laptop. He said it is an important work he needs to complete, but I do not like it when baba works on his stupid laptop, because he does not play with me when he works. I like to play with mamma and baba both, but these days baba is busy with his work, so I play with mamma only.

I only like Baba's laptop when we watch cartoons on it, otherwise I hate that stupid laptop of baba. It takes Baba's lots of time.

I was about to call mamma as I had set up everything, but I heard a heart wrenching scream from inside of our home. It sounded like mamma, but why would she scream so loudly? Is she in pain?

I can feel something is wrong, something doesn't feel right.

I stood up cleaning the dirt from my frock, and looked up only to realise that everything was dark, I couldn't see anything, everything was pitch black only darkness surrounding everything. It was consuming me, I was feeling afraid of it. I just wanted to go to my mamma and baba. They were both inside the house.