CHAPTER 10 - Occupied

Mikha put the paper bag on the table and pulled out the contents. When she woke up this morning, her usual breakfast wasn't set on the table. She wanted to knock on Aiah's door to ask her to get breakfast out but she thought that Aiah probably was still fast asleep and tired to get out.

She walked through the chilly wind to the nearest coffee shop to buy them food and coffee. Macchiato with extra caramel for Aiah– that's how Aiah liked her coffee. She chuckled at herself, remembering that one morning when the both of them were late and decided to take a brunch at the same coffee shop. Aiah had to go back and forth several times to the counter asking for more caramel.

'I'm a sucker for caramel.' she said that morning.

Mikha set the things she bought on the plate. It wasn't a pretty presentation but at least, it was neat. It actually felt nice to prepare breakfast for Aiah. It was her first time, but Mikha wouldn't mind doing this again in the future.

"Okay, all set. Now, let's practice our apology speech." she said to herself.

"Bub, I'm sorry for last night. That was rude and unnecessary and I'm sorry. I won't do that again and I'll make it up to you. Look! Breakfast!" She acted like Aiah was there.

"Okay, that is so lame." she scratched her head.

"Let's try again." She cleared her throat.

"Wait, you know what, I'm not doing it again." she still spoke to herself.

When she was about to drag Aiah out of bed, she heard the sound of an opening door. She smiled to herself, hoping that Aiah would like what she did for her.

"Hey! Look! I– Are you going somewhere?" her wide smile changed into a confused one at the time she saw Aiah was fully clothed on a Sunday morning.

"I don't deserve this." Aiah started with an already higher octave.

"What's with the yell? Of course you deserve this. I mean, for everything that you have done for me."

"Yeah, you're right. After what I've done for you. I've done nothing but be nice to you. For God's sake! Hell, Mikha, I don't deserve your behavior towards me!"

"Aiah, it's just breakfast."

"What?"

"I bought us breakfast. I bought macchiato with extra caramel for you. See? Your favorite. It is just breakfast. Of course you deserve it." she said softly.

"I'm not talking about breakfast! God damn it, Mikha!" she yelled in high-pitched making Mikha flinch.

"I'm done with you being bipolar, I don't deserve your behavior last night! I don't deserve to be your object to yell at or to get cold treatment by you anytime you please. All this time, I've held it inside but it will not happen any longer. You say sorry then you do it again. I'm done with whatever this is." Aiah panted– running out of her breath. She could hear the beats of her neck pulse, she could feel the palpitation in her chest.

Mikha stood there with mouth agape–speechless.

She wanted to say sorry. But she heard it herself, she said sorry then did it again. She realized that it was right, what Aiah said was right.

She admitted that she rejected Aiah so many times, she attempted to push her away and convince herself that she better stay alone. But that didn't mean she didn't try. She tried, she tried really hard to be better – she thought she was getting better. Well, the fact was, she wasn't. Old habits die hard.