CHAPTER 11 - Who's Mike?

It's been a few days since they saw each other. Jennie went before Mikha's awake and she slept before the other came home – or she wasn't asleep but didn't go outside of her room either. There were no text messages, no phone calls, none.

Mikha hated it that she must eat alone, she hated that she had to go to work without saying goodbye to her, she hated coming home without Aiah waiting for her.

She had a lot in her mind, the issue with Aiah made it all worse.

Often she wants to knock on her door or call or text her but she just can't do that. What if she redo what she did? She wasn't sure about herself – or what Aiah meant to her for that matter.

"Okay, drop it Mikha. What the heck happened?"

"Nothing."

"I don't buy bulls."

"....."

"You've been moping around for weeks now and you think I don't see the board schedule? 4-5 surgeries for a day, are you insane? We hardly see you recently. What is it?" Jhoanna pressed again.

"Nothing, mind your own business." she snapped.

"Something bothering you?"

"Wow, you really are stupid," she said sarcastically. "I said nothing."

"And you're a jerk who happens to be jerkier when you have something bugging you." Jhoanna spoke unaffectedly.

Mikha threw herself on the couch and took a sip from her cup. She gulped the water and let the cold slip down to her throat.

"In a few days it'll be three years since he's gone." she said quietly.

"Oh... you're right. So you've been thinking about that?" Mikha nodded. "I miss him too, you know. We all do."

Mikha kept silent.

"It's gonna be alright, Mikhs. You have to let him go. He's happy now."

"Well, yeah, easy for you to say. You're not the one who witnessed it." Mikha spoke absentmindedly.

"I'm sorry. But it'll be okay, Mikha. It'll be okay." Jhoanna patted her back.

- - - - - - - -

Mikha came home that night greeted by the stillness like the other recent nights. She went straight to her office without removing her shoes.

She opened a blue carton box and drew out a certain frame photo. It was taken a few years back; the photo of them and Mike together in front of their university monument. It was their graduation day. She was grinning proudly towards the camera. It was the day the world acknowledged her as a doctor, all her hard work paid off. Gwen hadn't graduated yet, she was in her last year though and Mike skipped his work at the hospital to come to the event.

They were all close.

The key was – were. Because there was no more Mike. She missed the brother she never had. She stopped herself from crying then put the frame back to its place.

The sadness overwhelmed her.

"Damn you." she whispered broken heartedly.

- - - - - - - -

Flashback

"If you're ever going back home, what would you do?"

"We. We're going back together."