Part 15 : Complications

Next morning as usual Ajabde had breakfast with Ranima and Pratap. Pratap had decided that Ajabde will have some trusted dedicated guards to follow her everywhere and some stationed outside her chamber. Till now guards used to be stationed at every length in every hallway and public places of the palace. Only the King, the crown prince and the queens got dedicated guards. Ajabde initially was reluctant but Pratap was not ready to compromise on her safety. Everyone in Chittor knew about them by now. And Pratap had enough enemies within the palace itself who could harm Ajabde to get to him. So he was not ready to compromise on the security.

Pratap got extremely busy after this. He had already closed the case of Ajabde and it was announced in the court that it was a foul play. With daily court sessions in full swing he also had to take care of Tomar's handover to his brother and various decisions and plans related to the newly formed Rajput confederation. This did not stop him from overseeing other aspects of the kingdom like routine military check and other aspects critical for the kingdom. After the monsoon he had hardly got time to look into these. So he would leave right after breakfast and come late into the night. So meeting Ajabde would only be in the morning along with his mother.

Ajabde too tried to maintain her daily routine but she could see so many changes around her after people got to know about her and Kunwarsa. It felt like she is getting more attention than she is comfortable with but Sakku assured her that this is part and parcel of becoming future queen. But thankfully her second home, the Treasury office remained the same. Ishvar Kaka , Mohan Bhaiyya , Kanhaji and others treated her as before although she was teased once in a while . They were so happy to see her back that even Ishvar Kaka, who is usually strict within the office space, pampered her. She even visited all of their homes with Sakku in free time. In the palace , she felt like all the princesses and queens who used to treat as if she did not exist now seemed to take notice of her. Only Pratap's uncle Raghu Veer's wife Kamalavati came to Ranima's room to congratulate her. She was genuinely happy about it.

One morning after having breakfast Ranima broached the subject of their wedding along with Kishan and Maanvati's. That would save the cost as well, since they had to spend extra on Parvati's wedding. Pratap was surprised because he still had some work pending in Rajput confederation and he had decided long back that he would marry only after that. Even his mother and Ajabde knew about it.
"Maa, you know my vow has not been completed. Next year after all the councils have been set up successfully we can have the wedding" He said looking at Ajabde who was not sure what she wanted. She wanted to be officially his wife but she did not mind waiting if that's what he wanted. But there were times when she wanted to see him she wished there was no wait. Being his wife meant she could just go meet him anytime. Now it did not feel appropriate for her to seek him anytime she wished. Her thoughts were interrupted when Ranima said "But Pratap, you have already managed to create a confederation. Your vow was to work on it first and then marry and you have accomplished that. How long will you keep Ajabde waiting ?" his mother asked.
"We can marry at the beginning of the next year Ma. Ajab do you have a problem? " he asked, looking at Ajabde. She looked at both of them and then shook her head.
"Pratap, she will of course say no since you are not ready. But people will start talking soon. You will be away most of the time but Ajab will have to hear from people" His mother complained.
Pratap sighed. "Ma, when did you start listening to these people? It's not like I will make her pregnant before the wedding" he said exasparated. He realised a little too late what he said was not appropriate. By then Ajabde had turned red in embarassment . She excused herself quickly and ran off while his mother looked at Pratap angry at his choice of words.
"I am sorry i should not have said that " Pratap apologised immediately.
"Yes you should not have. Pratap you don't understand. We women are judged for everything we do and anything we don't do. And Ajabde will have more prejudice because she is not from the same status. " Ranima said