Part 17 : Protection

Pratap, Ranima or Sakku always stayed by Ajabde's side as she lay unconscious. Two of them would always be present if one person had to head out. Pratap had sent out a message to Rawatji that he cannot attend the court and to conduct the proceedings on his behalf.  Entry to the chamber was strictly restricted to a handful of nurses and servants. Anyone touching Ajabde had to wash their hands in hot water before they could come close to her.

Sun had already set and the torches were being lit around the chamber when Sakku saw Ajabde's eyelid moving.
"Ranima..Ranima..Baisa" Sakku pointed out excitedly.
Pratap who was standing near the window strode towards the bed. Ranima too came rushing from the Puja section where she was lighting the Diyas.
Ranima sat beside Ajabde while Pratap stood beside her as Ajabde struggled to open her eyes. "Ajab.." Ranima caressed her head trying to ease her grogginess.
Slowly Ajabde opened her eyes trying to gauge where she was.
As soon as Ranima came to her focus she frowned for a moment and then her eyes widened remembering what had happened. Her hands went to her chest instinctively and winced at the sudden action.
"Ajab, it's okay. It's okay. You are alright. Don't move " Pratap and Ranima both tried reassuring her while Sakku stopped her hands from touching her chest and held it lightly."Meri bacchi. You are alright." Ranima kissed her forehead wiping tears from her eyes. Sakku too caressed her cheek with tears in her own eyes.
Pratap stood there staring at her but not moving any closer. His mother helped her drink some water with some medicines prescribed and settled her down again. As her mind became more clear and when she saw everyone surrounding her, it triggered the shock of the incident and she started sobbing. Ranima pulled her gently to her chest trying to stop her to sob too hard as it could hurt her abdomen. Pratap now sat in front of her holding her hand. They did not stop her from crying as they knew aftershocks like this needed some outlet and it was a good thing that she was letting it all out.  She tried to explain what happened but her body was exhausted so it was all jumbled words for them but gradually she had gone back to sleep. Ranima kept patting her for some more time till her breathing fully slowed down.

It was early next morning when Ajabde awoke, fully rested. Ranima and Sakku were in the room.. They kept fussing about her health, her food and medicine throughout the day. Ashwathama and Narayana had also come to check on her and beg for her forgiveness. Ajabde assured them that it was not their fault. They were not convinced but they promised her and Ranima that they will not repeat their mistake and will guard her with their life next time.
It was only in the afternoon Pratap came to see her. When he entered the chambers Ajabde was awake leaning on the headboard of the bed, talking to Sakku. Seeing him, Sakku quickly left the chambers to give them privacy. Pratap did not waste time reaching for her. He gently put his arms around her shoulder helping her fully to lean on his chest and gave a lingering kiss to her cheek. She began sharing her ordeal then, and every word of hers struck a painful blow to his heart. He was the reason why she had to go through this. Attack might be on her but the ultimate target was him. Ajabde stopped mid sentence when she felt something watery on her cheeks. She turned back only to find it was his tears. She had never seen him vulnerable like this. She knew he was holding himself responsible when it was clearly her mistake not to listen to her guards. She turned around and started wiping his eyes  and cheeks with both her hands all the while assuring him that she was fine now.
He held both her hands and kissed each of her wrist. He then pulled her face to his, nuzzling her face with his, kissing her everywhere he got access to. Ajabde just closed her eyes, forgetting everything and enjoying the love he was showering. Their anguish poured out of them as they sat holding on to each other.

Next morning, Ajabde was being helped by Sakku to comb her long hair and Ranima was sitting nearby making garland. Ajabde was still staying in Ranima's chamber. She was adamant that she would go to her chamber that night. She did not want Ranima to lose any more sleep fussing over her. She knew her Ranima was a light sleeper so any movement from her would wake Ranima.  All of a sudden they heard some commotion outside the chamber. Before Ranima could ask the servants what was happening Rani Roopvati came in and fell on Ranima's feet bawling her eyes out. Ajabde and Sakku looked at each other both surprised to see the favourite queen of the Mewar King in that state.
"Jija, Please please I beg you. Please spare my son. Please ask Kunwarsa to stop . I am ready to do anything but please spare my son"
Ranima was as clueless as Ajabde. "Ranisa, control yourself. Get up. You should not behave like this."
"I have no choice. Your son is going to ruin my son's life. Please, I am begging you with all I have. Please help my son"
Ranima looked at Ajabde if she knew about it but seeing Ajabde's surprised look she understood Ajabde was in the dark as well. She tried to make Roopvati get up but she instead moved towards the bed folding her hands imploring Ajabde
"Ajabde, I know I have not behaved well with you in the past but please I am begging you. Don't take this out on my son. He did not do anything. We are not responsible for your attack. Please stop Kunwarsa." she wept bitterly.
Now it dawned on her and Ranima what must have happened. Ranima's face hardened immediately. She asked the servants to get Roopvati out of the chamber. Ajabde's eyes betrayed utter disgust at this woman.
"Jija.. Jija..please. I will be your slave for the rest of my life. Please, I have only one son. Spare him. Please spare him" she cried hard as two maids came to lift their queen to take her out of the room. Ajabde could not believe the queen who even the King bowed to, was reduced to such a state.
Ranima called her guards to get more information on what's happening. They came back after a while to inform them that Kunwarsa had arrested Rani Roopvati's son Raghunath for various criminal charges. Ranima headed out towards the court. Queens were allowed to listen to happenings of the court from behind the curtain of the throne. She usually would not involve herself with the court proceedings unless it was absolutely necessary.
As she neared the court she could hear arguments among the ministers on how so many misdealings were happening under the King's very own eyes while Pratap was observing patiently. She smiled sadly, knowing very well that her son had cast the dice. Now he had to just sit and watch the downfall of the people who were hell bent on causing trouble at every step of his. But this time they had the audacity to poke the sleeping lion by attacking his family. Now they would reap the consequence of it. She was extremely proud of her son but she wished it would not come to this.
She came back from the court after a while as this was not something that would be settled easily. It was not a usual court proceeding where justice would be delivered. This was about the prince of one of the biggest kingdoms of Rajputana. It had to be dealt with carefully as the reputation of the kingdom was at stake.