Chapter Six

I let out a deep sigh as Brady flexed his muscles for the sixth time this hour. My father had thought it would be wise for the next tribal leaders to be seen together. I was trying to put a smile on my face but it wasn't working out.

"So, I was thinking when we're married, we would have seven strong boys, like me," Brady said.

"What if I want a girl?" I questioned.

"Well, it only matters what I want, you are just the person who provides children, cleans, and makes me food. I hope you understand that if you can't provide those things you are worthless," Brady replied, he had been telling me I was worthless all the time. I bit my lip.

"I think I'm going to go home," I announced smiling weakly. Brady just nodded, his attention focused on some of the prettiest girls in the tribe.

'Impromptu pack meeting in twenty minutes,' I announced to everyone via mind chat. I listened to their sounds of acknowledgement. I grabbed what little things I wanted to take with me when we left. I was done with the tribe, with Brady, with my dad. I would stay at our tunnel system, as the rest of my stuff was already there.

I sneaked out of my window, because for once my father was actually home. I started making my way down the familiar path. I just wanted to get away from it all.

I reached the tunnel system, and walked down the tunnel to see Michael already there. I walked over to my rock and sat down.

"Nala, what's wrong?" Michael asked concerned.

"Am I worthless?" I asked

"What? No, you're amazing, funny, and beautiful. Who told you this?" Michael replied.

"Brady," I answered looking at the floor. I looked up to see Michael's jaw clinched in anger. I then noticed all of Michael's stuff and a makeshift bed. "Have you been sleeping here?" Michael nodded. "Well, you're gonna get a new bunk mate."

"Cool,'' Michael said smiling at me.

'I can't come' I heard Lydia say in my mind. I heard everyone else say same.

"Well, I guess it's just us," Michael said.

"Y-yeah," I stuttered out blushing. Michael smiled at me. I looked down blushing. Suddenly, I felt two hands cupping my face. I looked up to meet Michael's stunning blue eyes. Then, Michael pressed his lips against mine. I felt like I was floating. I kissed back. Michael pulled away.

"What are we Nala?'' Michael asked.

"What do you want us to be?" I asked.

"I want us to be more than friends."

"Then that's what we are," I replied. Michael and I made our way over to his makeshift bed. I got under the covers and closed my eyes. I felt Michael's warm arms wrap around me. I smiled and drifted off to sleep.