𝐇UMAN NATURE | 2

P A R T   T W O

────── ⋅ ⋅ ── *ੈ✩‧₊˚── ⋅ ⋅ ──────

"Ooo, it's freezing out here. Why can't we have a drink inside the pub?" Martha complained to Jenny as she walked out of the pub into the cold of the night with two pints in her hands, Logan trailing behind her with his own drink.

Jenny actually laughed at that, shaking her head at the woman's gall, watching as Martha set the pints down on the table with an exaggerated shiver. "Now don't be ridiculous. You do get these notions! It's all very well, those Suffragettes—but that's London. That's miles away."

"But don't you just want to scream sometimes, having to bow and scrape and behave. Don't you just want to tell them?" Martha frowned, sitting down on a chair with a huff, side-eyeing Logan when the man pulled out a tiny, bright pink stick umbrella from his pocket and balanced it on the edge of his glass.

"Stick it to the man, Martha." Logan backed up the woman, ignoring her judging gaze and lifting his hand so she could high five him, which she did with a quiet scoff of laughter. Jenny watched the two of them with curious eyes, taking a sip of her drink before shaking her head with a small smile.

"I don't know. Things must be different in your country."

"Yeah, well they are." Martha nodded, pulling at the hem of her glove before picking up her own drink and muttering, "Thank God I'm not staying."

"You keep saying that."

"Just you wait. One more month and I'm as free as a bird." Martha smiled, nudging Logan, who grinned, lightly clinking their glasses together.

"Nelly Furtado would be proud." The man playfully sighed and Martha snorted, before looking back to Jenny, her smile softening.

"I wish you could come with me, Jenny. You'd love it."

"Where are you going to go?"

"Anywhere." Martha shrugged, looking up at the dark, starry sky. "Just look up there. Imagine you could go all the way out to the stars."

"You don't half say mad things." Jenny laughed, not unkindly.

"That's where I'm going. Into the sky, all the way out." Martha assuredly told the woman, her gaze on the night sky unwavering, while Jenny looked back down at her drink.

A bright green light suddenly flashed in the sky and Martha's smile immediately dropped, her eyes widening. She grabbed Logan's arm and asked, "Did you see that?"

Logan had been too busy trying to take a sip of his drink without accidentally stabbing himself in the eye with the tiny umbrella, but he nodded anyway, vaguely remembering the strange light in the sky. "No, yeah, I definitely saw that."

"Saw what?" Jenny frowned, looking up again.

"Did you see it, though?" Martha stood up from her chair, pointing to a specific spot in the sky. "Right up there, just for a second."

"There's nothing there.." Jenny shook her head, squinting at the sky. The woman was swiftly proven wrong when Nurse Redfern appeared from the nearby fields, running towards the three of them and looking very distressed.

"Matron?" Logan hesitantly spoke to the frazzled woman, slowly rising from his seat, not wanting to startle her when she was clearly already panicked.

"Did you see that?" She asked, her eyes wide and glued to the sky. "There was something in the woods. This light." The nurse explained, baffled by what she'd seen.