2. You brought it all on yourself pt.1

There are many things that define Nicholas White. But despite the number of them, Nicholas always saw himself as a protector. If it's true that a person's identity is most influenced by their upbringing, then Nicholas was a prime example that.

Nick is the eldest of three brothers. His father died when Nick was thirteen. This forced Nick to take on the role of the head of the family from an early age. His mother, Nora, was often away from home to earn money. She had to make ends meet.

In the process, Nick did a lot of the things that Nora couldn't do. Picking up Neil, who is six years younger than me, and Nathan, the youngest, from school was his job. From reheating up food that was sitting in the fridge to cooking meals, and as he got older, he even started taking care of the odd jobs around the house.

Fortunately, Nick wasn't too unhappy with his situation. Despite his somewhat cynical nature, he wasn't averse to the idea of helping someone. Besides, his childhood dream was to be a policeman - until Nora found out and threw a fit. Eventually, Nick had to change his dream profession to something safer, which led him to become a lawyer.

Nick's father was an inspector in the Greater London Police. Gideon White's death took place in the basement of an unlicensed building in Coventry, a small town near Birmingham. He died aged 38. The death of a man who had risen rapidly through the ranks and was due to be promoted to the rank of Chief Inspector, was ruled a death in the line of duty. This was because he died after rescuing a victim of kidnapping and imprisonment who was of noble blood. It was a heroic death.

A consolation prize and a huge funeral followed, with the Frost family grateful for their son's return and pledging their support for Nick's future. After all, it was Nick who first found Kyle and led Gideon to him.

The promise was kept. Nick's college tuition came out of their sponsorship account. His mother, Nora, refused all of Frost's help except for Nick's tuition because every time she heard their name, it reminded her of Gideon.

Nora shunned anything to do with Gideon's death. The police. Kyle. The Frosts. For Nora, Kyle must have been both a victim and a terrible nightmare. People can be so illogical sometimes. And Nick sees that in Nora: they all knew that Kyle was innocent. Gideon did what he had to do.

It was Nick who put his father in danger. If Nick had been calmer, if he had not rushed his father, he might still be alive. But Nora's resentment is directed at a complete stranger, Kyle, and Nick has never had the chance to hold even the slightest grudge against him. The one to blame for his father's death is the man who killed him, and Nick for leading him there.

For this reason, Kyle has always been someone Nick has had to protect. A tiny creature, trapped in the dark, cowering alone, unable to call for help. Anyone who saw Kyle on the day he was found, and anyone who knew him afterwards, would agree.

Kyle was on the verge of breaking. He was shattered like tempered glass, barely holding its shape, cracked by dozens or hundreds of hammers. So, it never occurred to Nick that Kyle was a dominant Alpha. Kyle leaned on Nick and Nick leaned on Kyle. Panic disorder, seizures, claustrophobia, social anxiety. That is the kind of label Kyle had lived with throughout his teenage years. It was a breakdown of the psyche that no amount of physical strength, pheromones or money could fix.

Kyle's fear was only offset by Nick's presence. It was as if the effect was one of imprinting. Like a young animal following its mother, Kyle trusted Nick, the man who had been responsible for his first moments after the kidnapping.

So, there is no way I can accept this.

"Maybe I went too far."

For the first time in his life, he was about to be dominated by none other than 'that' Kyle. That was the conclusion Nick had come to over the course of a long day. Elsa, sitting next to him in sunglasses, nodded.