3. Wake, Awake, for night is flying pt.3

Tuesday started early. Nick and Elsa, who'd each ordered a burger from VQ via Uber the night before, passed out at 9 p.m. And then he got up in the morning, leaving Elsa, who'd gone back to bed after grumbling about how scary her habits were, Nick filled his stomach with light oatmeal and finished getting ready.

I had all the materials I needed to take to the law firm at home, so I had to stop by the house before work anyway. I didn't have a change of clothes and there was no way I was going to find a place that sells suits in the morning, so the text message telling him I would be seeing him at work was meaningless.

Nick, worried about this part, got ready to leave at 7. Kyle usually left for work at 7.30, so even if I was a bit late for work, I planned to go home after Kyle left and do the necessary things. After leaving his bike in the hallway, Nick came out of the narrow entrance.

Nick locked the door and put the key in the mailbox next to the door and put his hand in his coat pocket. Kyle still hadn't contacted him. He woke up a few times to check his phone, feeling worse each time, and I reached for the phone I had tucked away in the bottom of my coat. It was early, so I thought it would be okay to take a taxi.

This is all because of Kyle's bad habits.......

"Nick."

Pause. The foot that had descended the steps of the Flat's porch stopped dead in its tracks. Nick looked up. A black Audi was parked in the driveway in front of the flat, and in front of it stood a familiar face, one he'd missed for some reason. Kyle, wearing a thin rat-coloured muffler and a brown coat, stood outside Elsa's house.

"What are you doing here?"

His face was quite pale as he smiled quietly at the question in my voice. Unable to guess how long they had been waiting for him, Nick stormed down the stairs, momentarily forgetting all that had surrounded them.

"How did you get here? When did you get here?"

Closing the distance in one swift motion, Nick cupped Kyle's cheek. The soft skin was ice cold against his palm. His brow furrowed in frustration.

"Why were you out here instead of in the car?"

"I was afraid I'd miss you........ It wasn't cold at all."

"I told you I'd see you at work."

Thin eyelashes fluttered. Kyle, who was looking at Nick with slightly crooked smiling eyes, spoke softly.

"You forgot your papers. I didn't think you'd have a change of clothes today, so I came to pick you up."

Kyle paused as he answered the question. Slowly the smile faded and then Kyle lowered his eyes slightly and apologized to Nick.

"......It's uncomfortable, sorry. Nick, do you want to drive back? I'll be in later."

What the hell did this handsome guy do wrong to keep me on my toes these past few days? Nick's heart sank into his chest. His guts twisted like a punch under his ribs.

'Yes, I sent a text message practically saying that I was avoiding you, but Kyle didn't remember anything, and he'd asked him to go to the hospital with him, and then he'd disappeared. It's not a very mature way of saying I have a problem with you.

There wasn't a decent citizen who didn't look down on hooligans who couldn't keep up with the Premier League and went on the rampage. Nick was no different from an irrational citizen. Nick shook his head in pain.

"Why would I leave you? It's cold, get in. Do you want me to drive?"

"No, I'll do it. You don't like to drive."