2. You brought it all on yourself pt.3

However, Nick's stability was shattered about an hour later. Luther's lab was on the ninth floor. The Royal Hospital, home to the only NHS-designated trait laboratory in London, had one of the best facilities in the UK, and possibly in Europe.

Luther Milan is a man who, at the tender age of forty-six, was put in charge of the lab, and whose name is often mentioned when research on traits is published. And Kyle Frost was someone who also used Luther, an academic authority, as his personal doctor.

It was a background that didn't really make sense from Kyle's personal point of view, but Luther, the person involved, took on the attitude that it was natural.

Perhaps there was some connection to Kyle's grandparents, Nick speculated. He had heard a long time ago that Kyle's grandfather had been a pure-blooded nobleman with the title of Marquis. Perhaps from Kyle's mother? He hadn't seen Kyle's mother for a long time. Kyle and the rest of the family, those with the surnames Alpine and Frost, didn't live in the same place except for the annual gatherings. The repercussions of having organisms at the top of the breeding hierarchy in the same room, Kyle had said, was quite overwhelming.......

"You've been waiting a long time."

Luther, dressed in a blue robe, opened the parlour door. Kyle, who was talking to Luther with a serious expression on his face, was nowhere to be seen.

"What about Kyle?"

"He's having an MRI, just in case."

The hand that was cracking pistachios stopped dead in its tracks. Nick, pushing up from his parlour chair, asked gravely.

"Why did he have to get an MRI?"

"The best thing is to treat it as a routine inspection. There's probably nothing wrong. Young Master's symptoms are usually caused by psychological factors."

Luther, carrying a translucent plastic chart, closed the door.

"Would you like some tea?"

"Please."

"How many sugars would you like?"

"One is enough."

Small talk ensued. Luther poured water into a mug as he pulled two black tea bags from the commonly seen PGtips box. Nick, who watched the faintly wrinkled hands pour the milk and stir in the brown sugar, took up the conversation.

"So, you're saying that for psychological reasons, Kyle doesn't remember what happened to Rut?"

"That's the explanation that makes the most sense. As you know, he despises his own traits, and......."

There was no judgement in Luther's voice. That was one of the things Nick liked most about Luther. The way he kept his opinions to himself when it came to troubling issues. Unlike people who heard about Kyle being a dominant Alpha and only saw that part of him, for Luther, the trait was just an interesting thing to study. Sometimes his scientific point of view gave me the creeps, but in general Luther was a rational human being. Nick had a strong dislike for stupid, irrational people, so for that reason alone Luther was quite admirable to Nick. Apart from Nick's own discomfort.

"Because if it's about Mr White, he's going to be twice as sensitive."

Luther was also the one who knew the history of Nick and Kyle's friendship. Explaining their friendship would involve delving into a very sensitive past, so instead of explaining their complicated relationship to others, Nick would often abbreviate it with the word 'classmate'.

"As a matter of fact, what you say is true."

A teacup was placed in front of Nick. "Thank you." Nick accepted the tea with a bow and sat back in his seat. His mind racing, he rubbed his index finger over the rounded handle of the mug, choosing his words carefully.