11. Elena

It's been a few days since Mr. Nikolv announced the research sponsorship. The days have been hectic because of it. Top doctors are extremely occupied in the OT, and once their shifts end, they are busy with research papers.

In these few days, Aria and I have grown close. We meet often and help each other with the research. This is a rare opportunity for anyone here because, until now, no one was willing to offer such a high price for sponsorship. Hence, no one is ready to give up or even think about taking a rest.

Being extremely busy with hospital stuff is really pissing off April. Finding time to chill is rare for her, and even when she does, I'm not able to make it. Plus, me spending more time with Aria is slightly ticking off April's possessiveness. She might look like a cool and easy-going extrovert on the outside, but let me tell you, she is one hell of a possessive person. If you've ever read dark romance, she's like a female version of those morally grey men in those fictional books, with a completely innocent face and a soft, fragile outlook.

And then there's the monkey of our team. He has been trying to contact me for the past few days since he found out I was working with Aria. I've been purposefully avoiding him. Of course, I wouldn't risk a newfound good friend and her friendship for a monkey's flirtationship, would I?

Seems like all my efforts went down the drain today as the great Josh arranged a meeting and a get-together and invited Aria as well. How did he manage to do that?

Well, April and Ren worked as his cupids.

April called my phone several times without any particular reason, and being irritated, I left my phone in my cabin when I went for a break. Accidentally, or as per April's calculation, after several tries, Aria picked up my constantly ringing phone only to hear a not-so-depressed April. She claimed she was missing me so much that she might go into depression. And you know what? Her acting was so excellent that the top psychologist, Aria, fell right into her trap and agreed to attend the gathering.

Now, we are sitting in April's garden, grilling fish and beef for our dinner.

All the while, Josh just stared at Aria as if he'd eat her alive if he got the chance. This monkey... when did he turn into such a pervert?

Ren went near him and whispered something, to which Josh responded, "What to do, Ren? She is sooo pretty that I could just keep looking at her and never get bored for a lifetime."

Such a cringe... but for a fangirl like April, this seemed to be the sweetest dialogue ever, and she shrieked. Ren just slapped his head, probably reconsidering his life decisions of being friends with such drama king and queen.

Aria, on the other hand, just concentrated on her grill and her plate. There was no expression at all. She really has extreme control over her emotions. If I were in her shoes, Josh would have been six feet under by now.

I somehow felt like Aria was lonely, maybe not used to the crowd, so I went near her. "I'm extremely sorry for Josh's behavior. I was avoiding their phone calls for the past few days so that you could avoid this day. But still, April wanted to play cupid."

With a small smile, Aria started saying, "You are lucky, you know? I've been jealous of you from the moment I entered this house."

Her eyes were constantly on the campfire we set up. Josh was sitting a little far away, helping Ren clean the grill. April was completely wasted. There were lots of times when Aunt scolded her for being rowdy and advised her to be ladylike. But if she listened and changed her ways, she surely wouldn't be April. April being April, went overboard with the drinks.

"I know that was a trap. I'm a psychologist, Doctor Elena. I sometimes help the cops and CBI in their investigations. I know the difference between being depressed and acting depressed. Though I just heard April's voice, I was 200% sure she wasn't depressed but that something naughty was cooking in her mind," she said with a smile.

I was confused. If she knew, then why did she agree to come here? And why did she force me to come?

"I was curious about what they were planning. Especially your monkey! I thought maybe there'd be an interesting show after a very long time," she chuckled and continued, "But they are just great company. I really wish I could be one among your gang. They are loving and caring towards each other. The way Josh was just staring at me made me cringe, but his concentration was divided to April when she was grilling. His eyes never let go of your movements. Ren and April made sure they didn't disturb me but at the same time, made sure I didn't feel alienated. It's like they were silently saying, 'We called you over, so we'll take your responsibility.'"

I smiled inwardly because I know for a fact that this is true. Sometimes, Josh and April can be annoying, but without any doubt, they are the most caring people in the whole universe. You can trust them with everything.

Ren may be passive in a conversation, but if needed, he'll do anything to make sure you don't feel unwanted. He may not be expressive, but he is extremely caring.

While I was thinking all this, Aria took a deep breath and said, "I lived and grew up in an environment where I needed to be vigilant of everyone around me. It's been a long time since I felt relaxed. If you don't mind, can I be one among your friends' gang?"

April shouted in a drunk state, "Why not? Sure!" We both jerked and looked at her. After a few seconds, we realized she had listened to our conversation while being drunk, and we both chuckled looking at her.

Aria breathed out, "She's cute."

I nodded my head, looking at April. Though she is nosy, I love her the most. She is precious to me.

"I just don't want you guys to think I'm giving Josh the wrong ideas by being friends with you guys."

I smiled and replied, "What happens between you and Josh is none of my business, and don't worry, as far as I know, Ren and April do want to befriend you. Josh was not the only reason April contacted you."

I am not guessing this. I'm sure. April wanted to divide my attention from Aria and in the process, she started to care for Aria as well. 

She can gel with anyone within seconds. This is one of her bad habits. But the most cutest traits of hers.