Chapter 42: I Will Protect My Family

Carmilla's Castle

The castle stood silent against the backdrop of a snow-covered landscape, its tall towers and grand halls shrouded in the soft glow of a chilly morning. The world outside was a blanket of white, untouched and pure, with only the occasional gust of wind stirring the snowflakes from their resting places. The sun rose high above the castle and all was quiet and relatively peaceful, and with the Vampires in a deep sleep in their quarter, the castle appeared to be empty and abandoned. Inside, the vast corridors were nearly empty, their ancient stone walls echoing with the faint whispers of long-forgotten memories. Hector, now dressed in fine clothing, walked slowly through the halls, his footsteps lightly echoing on the marble floors as he made his way outside to the courtyard. His eyes, sharp and alert, took in the unfamiliar surroundings with a mixture of worry and quiet contentment.

Beside him, his son Silvanus toddled along, his small feet barely making a sound on the cold stone. The child's wide, curious eyes darted from one corner of the hall to the next, taking in the grandeur of the castle that seemed almost too large for someone so small. As they reached the courtyard, the chill of the winter air greeted them, and his cheeks were flushed with the cold, a rosy contrast to his tanned skin, and a smile played on his lips. Silvanus, undeterred by the cold, broke into a run, his tiny legs carrying him forward with surprising speed. He giggled as he ran, his laughter a bright spark in the stillness of the morning.

Hector chuckled, his heart swelling with affection as he watched his son. He kept a close eye on Silvanus, his steps quickening to match the boy's pace. The courtyard, though vast and open, was covered in a thin layer of ice, and Hector was mindful of the slippery patches that could send his son tumbling. "Careful, Silvanus!" He called out, gentle but firm. The boy turned his head, his bright eyes meeting his father's with a happy grin. Hector couldn't help but smile in return, his breath visible in the cold air. Thanks to Lilith, neither he nor Silvanus were contained in a cage. They have free roam of their designated area and have clothes more suited to their liking. Of course, Hector knew Lilith wanted to provide more for them, but she couldn't risk the chances of the others finding out her betrayal. She couldn't risk their safety. And Hector couldn't be more grateful to her. He wanted to learn more about his newly found friend, but he didn't want her to feel like he was prying into her life. He wanted to give her the same respect and courtesy as she had shown him.

Silvanus carefully ran back to his father, and Hector scooped him up. Gently tossing him into the air before bringing him into a warm embrace, laughing and smiling with each other. They stared up at the sky as they heard a bird calling out, seeing it fly overhead. A gentle breeze blew their way as Silvanus looked at Hector. "Mama?" He asked simply.

The man smiled sadly as he gently caressed his head. "I miss her too. But we'll see her again. Eventually." He told him. Silvanus became saddened by his response, but he could only nod his head. Hector set his son down and held his hand as they went back inside the castle. It had been a few weeks since they'd seen Leonora, but this was just one of the restrictions that the group had to put in. As much as Lilith hated to separate them, it was so far the best option for them. It'll look suspicious if Leonora was allowed free reign when Hector still hasn't given his "full loyalty" to the Council of Sisters yet. Plus, knowing Carmilla and Leonora's past interactions...they knew it'd lead to chaos. If there's any consolation, Hector and Silvanus slept soundly knowing full well that Lilith kept her safe.

Silvanus stood close to him, tightly gripping at his pant leg as they walked past two still awake Vampire Guards. Hector held him close as he calmly bowed his head, greeting them. The guards silently returned the gesture and walked off without bothering them. "It's okay, my son. We're going to be okay." Hector promised. The small child looked up at his father and nodded, snuggling close.