Chapter 38: Never Give Up Hope, Part 1

*Unknown location*

A few moments later, Sapphire's eyes slowly opened. She was still in a haze, but her senses were still functioning. Hm? Was she floating? When her vision cleared, she discovered Isaac carrying her and he walked up a winding staircase. "Isaac...?" She softly called out. The Forgemaster quickly stopped and looked down at the little girl. When he noticed she was awake, he kneeled to the ground and steadied her.

"Sapphire, are you alright? How do you feel?" Isaac asked as he checked her temperature, looking her over to see if she was dealing with any side-effects from the Magician's spell. The pale-skinned girl shook her head and rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "A little sleepy, but I think I'm okay." She told him. Isaac let out a breath of relief and brought the girl into a hug. Now Sapphire was wide awake. Why was Isaac hugging her like this? She didn't dislike it, but she wondered what happened? All she could remember was that the slaves had taken her and then...nothing. "Isaac, what happened?"

"You don't need to know." Isaac says as he pulled away. Patting her head. "I'm just happy that you're okay." Isaac rose to his full height and took her hand in his. Continuing their way up the stairs. Sapphire wasn't sure what exactly happened, but she noticed the change in Isaac. She didn't know what, but it's there. Sapphire then decided to just take his word for it and held his hand. As they were nearing the top, the two had explored the tower but hadn't found what Miranda had told them. Eventually, reaching the top floor and found a room that held nothing of value. That is until Sapphire pointed to a door on the other side of the room.

Isaac walked over to it and discovered it sealed with a lock. Seeing as though neither of them had a key on them, and Isaac had to open the old fashioned way. Isaac walked away from the door and once he was a good distance, he charged at the door and easily bust it open with a strong kick. Now that the door was open, the two travellers found another room that was filled with floating mirror shards. The room was massive and so clean in comparison to everything else in the outside world. There were hundreds of mirror shards floating around making soft sounds resembling jingling bells.

Sapphire was fascinated by the many mirror shards. She had never seen anything like this in her entire life. She wanted to look around and get a closer look, but Isaac held her hand and pulled her along with him. Isaac gazed at the mirror shards and narrowed his eyes. He was thinking about the ones he has on hand. "If I have to call you "Sir", I am going to give up and live in a ghost town with a mad magician woman who will probably eat my eyes while I sleep." Isaac says he tips one of the shards away. Letting it fly towards the floor, softly stopping to a halt before it could make an impact before floating up in the room again.

Isaac then looked up and to see several shards coming together to give a shattered reflection of his face. He found it almost ironic but fitting. Even before meeting Dracula, Isaac had been all alone in the world with no purpose. Alone. With no one to trust or care. And no one trusted or care for him. It was almost funny that out of every human in the world, it was a monster of the night to give him a sense of purpose and treated him as a friend. Like he was worth talking to. Like a real human. And because he was his friend, Dracula sends him away to save him. And then...he was alone again.

"I may have been on my own too long." Isaac says to himself, melancholy. He closes his eyes to collect his thoughts. Then he felt a warm, soft hand reach for his. Giving it a reassuring squeeze. Isaac opened his eyes and gaze upon the little girl, smiling at him. The Forgemaster stared at her smile for a moment before returning the gesture. That's right, he wasn't alone anymore. Because he had Sapphire to protect and care for. An innocent little girl who will teach him that this world is still beautiful.

Isaac turned back to the mirror shards and took in a deep breath. He outstretched his arms, the shards moving as he did so, and clapped. The shards danced around the room before coming together, becoming whole once more. Forming into a giant mirror, perfect for teleporting an army. Just as Miranda says. Speaking of whom. The mirror must've sensed Isaac's thoughts because it showed him the older woman. Through the mirror, he sees her kneeling over a campfire on the patio, and she, in turn, sees him watching over her, smiling knowingly in Isaac's success.