Chapter 39: Never Give Up Hope, Part 2

*Lindenfeld*

The life of the Priory has been quickly snuffed away as the walls crumbled down. The once holy building was now an empty husk, collapsing in on itself. Trevor and Sypha held the gipsy children close to them as they escaped the building. Stopping just far enough to wait out the massive shaking and once it was over, they turned to see the Priory destroyed. So...it was all over. Right? Trevor lets a sigh as Sypha brings the children towards her, thankful that they weren't hurt too badly. But then Sypha turns and gasps in shock. Spotting the dying Judge, Sypha quickly runs to his side, hoping there was a way to help him. The Judge let out a weak cough as he laughs. "I've killed Sala." He whispered.

"Where is he?" Sypha asked as Trevor and the Twins approached them.

The Judge coughs as he tells them, "Take the backfield into the woods. Go right at the fork in the path. You'll find him. Find me my knife."

"Why?" Sypha asked, confused.

"Because I'm going to wait for that bastard in hell and kill him all over again when he arrives." The Judge says as he laughed. Gasping and coughing for air as he reached out to grab hold of Sypha' hand. "Burn my house down." And with that, the Judge took his last breath, dying shortly after. The group stood there, silent as they stared at the Judge. Taking a moment for him. But Selina and Duke noticed something odd. They approached the monk and lifted his hand. They turned it over and the group saw strange markings that seemed to be cut into his palm with a heated knife.

The twins gasped in shock when they saw it. What? What could the Judge have done to receive this? Trevor and Sypha saw the markings as well, confused at what they meant as it was much different than the ones they've seen around town.

"What the hell is that?" Trevor asked.

"The Reaper's Kiss." Duke said. "It's a powerful curse that can ensure the person will die and be a drag to Hell. Our people always use this curse on night creatures and we always activate them at once...but,"

"Why would the Judge have something like this? What sins has he committed to earning something like this?" Selina asked. The brother and sister looked at each other and nodded. They were going to search the deceased Judge's memories and see what happened. Unfortunately, they were unable to as the markings on both his palms glowed bright red. The Judge's body was engulfed in flames, causing the group to jump back. The flames ate away at the Judge right into his flesh and bones. And once the flames ceased to exist, there was nothing left of the judge. No ashes remained. Nothing but a burned patch of where he laid.

Sala ran farther into the woods, taking the Judge's advice. For once in his blackened soul, Sala felt true fear. Fear like he had never felt before. He needed to escape. He needed to get as far away from here as he can. If he doesn't he'll be surely killed. Sala ran and ran until he found a large apple tree. Just like the Judge says. This place would grant him a safe passageway free from his men. Sala turned around, worried that they were following as he backed up towards the tree. He couldn't die. He can't die. He had to escape! He had to get away from here! He can't die here! He can't-!

Sala let out a scream as he fell through the Earth. Feeling excruciating pain as he twitched and gasp for air. But within seconds, Sala died. Having fallen into a pit filled with spikes, killing him on the spot.

Eventually, Trevor, Sypha, and Selina and Duke had managed to find his impaled corpse. Although it concerned them when the children hesitated to step closer to the tree upon arrival. They looked almost fearful when they saw it. Trevor's eyes noticed something under Sala and knelt to get a closer look. "What's all that under him?" Trevor asked. When his eyes looked at the pit, he came to an answer. "This thing's been used a lot."