01

Yoon Jeonghan

Yoon Jeonghan

Lin Moonamina (Mina)

AUTHOR: if you aren't here after finishing TOUGH ROMANCE I advise you go back and read that first to understand everything in this book, if not then good luck!

Jeonghan

The federal agents in my office were lucky for two reasons. First, my left hook wasn't what it had been before getting shot.

And second, I hadn't been able to work my way up into feeling anything, let alone mad enough to make me consider doing something stupid.

"The Bureau understands you have a personal interest in finding Kwon Soonyoung." Special agent Rei said from across my desk where she Sat with a ramrod straight spine. She flicked her face to the coffee stain on my shirt.

She was a steely woman in a pantsuit who looked as though she ate procedures for breakfast. The man next to her, Deputy Jeon Wonwoo, had glasses and the look of a man forced into something he really didn't want to do. He also looked like he blamed me for it.

I wanted to work my way to pissed off. I wanted to feel something other than the great, sucking void that rolled over me, inevitable as the tide. But there was nothing. Just me and the void.

"But we can't have you and your boys and girls running around mucking up my investigations." Rei continued.

On the other side of the glass, Sergeant Lee Chan was dumping a pint of sugar into his coffee and glaring daggers at the two feds. Behind him, the rest of the bullpen buzzed with the usual energy of a small town police department.

Phones rang. Keyboards clicked. Officers served. And the coffee sucked.

Everyone was alive and breathing. Everyone but me.

I was just pretending.

I crossed my arms and ignored the sharp twinge in my shoulder.  "I appreciate the professional courtesy. But what's with the special interest? I'm not the only cop to take a bullet in the line of duty."