Eight: Hell Hath No Fury Like A Woman Scorned

★

I pulled up to the Owens' farm, white-knuckled on the steering wheel. The normally tranquil scene only served to stoke the fire burning in my chest. How could everything be so damn calm and normal when I'd just seen Tyler's truck get rammed off the road by some lunatic?

I stormed up to the front door, not even bothering to knock. As soon as I stepped inside, I spotted Tyler and Lainey in the living room, looking like they didn't have a care in the world.

"Alright, what the hell is going on?" I demanded, my voice sharp enough to cut glass.

Tyler looked up, surprise etching his features. "Lou? What are you doing here?"

"Don't give me that innocent act, Tyler," I snapped. "I saw the news. I saw what happened to your truck out there. So start talking - what really happened?"

Lainey exchanged a worried glance with her husband, and I felt my frustration spike.

"Well?" I pressed, my eyes narrowing.

Tyler sighed, rubbing a hand over his face. "Lou, it's not as bad as it looked, okay? We're all fine."

"Fine?" I barked out a harsh laugh. "Looked to me like that other truck was trying to run you off the damn road! How is that fine?"

"Lou, please, just calm down and let us explain," Lainey interjected, her voice soothing.

"Calm down?" I threw my hands up in exasperation. "How the hell am I supposed to calm down when I just watched some maniac try to murder all of you?"

"It wasn't like that, Lou," Tyler tried to interject, but I wasn't having it.

"Then what was it like, huh?" I demanded, my voice rising with each word. "Because from where I'm standing, it looked a whole lot like attempted homicide!"

Before either of them could respond, Boone came barreling into the room, his face etched with concern.

"Lou, what's going on?" he asked, his gaze darting between me and the other two.

I whirled on him, the relief I felt at seeing him alive and unharmed quickly overtaken by the fury still coursing through me.

"What's going on?" I echoed, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "What's going on is that your little storm chasing stunt almost got you all killed, that's what's going on!"

Boone's brow furrowed in confusion. "What are you talking about, Lou?"

"I'm talking about the news, Boone," I spat. "I saw what happened out there. That other truck was trying to run you off the road!"