Epilogue

★

It’s strange how quickly life can change, how the wails of past struggles can transform into the cheers of daily routines. Sitting on the porch swing, I watch the sun set in shades of pinks below the horizon, like a painting in the Oklahoma sky I've come to cherish. The house Boone and I had dreamed about, with its wide-open spaces and warm, inviting rooms, is finally feeling like home. And as much as I had imagined this moment in fragments, it’s everything and nothing like I had pictured.

The rhythmic creak of the swing under us is oddly soothing. Boone is beside me, his arm draped casually around my shoulders. His touch is a constant comfort, always reminding me of just how far we’ve come. We’ve faced more than a few challenges—rodeos, tornadoes, injuries, and the aftermath of our shared trauma—but through it all, the bond between us has only grown stronger.

"How’s the view from your end of the swing?" Boone’s voice breaks the silence, warm and playful, bringing me back to the present.

I glance over at him, smiling despite the tiredness in my eyes. "Perfect. Though, I think it might be better if you were on the other side of the swing, giving me a bit more space."

Boone chuckles and shifts slightly, giving me a bit more room but keeping his arm around me. "I ain't budgin'. This is the best spot."

I laugh, the sound mingling with the chirping of crickets and the distant murmur of the river. It’s a peaceful evening, and for the first time in a long while, there’s no looming storm or pressing worry. The world feels balanced, and so do we.

"You know," I say, leaning into Boone’s side, "sometimes I still think about those days. The tornado, the maniac. It all feels like a different lifetime."

He nods, his fingers gently rubbing my arm. "It does. But it’s also a part of us now. It made us who we are, and I wouldn’t trade that for anything."

I turn to look at him, seeing the sincerity in his dark eyes. "I wouldn’t either. Not even the tough parts. We came through it, and we did it together."

Boone smiles, his eyes crinkling at the corners. "That’s right."

We sit in comfortable silence for a while, just enjoying the serenity of our surroundings. The house is quiet, with the occasional sound of our cat, Rusty, padding around inside. All that talk about Boone and I getting a couple dogs and we end up with the residential barn cat instead. The renovations are done, and the place is starting to feel lived-in. The small touches we’ve added—pictures on the walls, cozy throws on the furniture, and a garden that’s starting to bloom—give it a sense of permanence and warmth.

"Have you thought about what we’re gonna do for our anniversary?" Boone asks suddenly, his tone light but his eyes thoughtful.

I grin, knowing exactly where he’s heading with this. "I have. I was thinking maybe a weekend getaway. Somewhere we haven’t been yet. What do you think?"

"Sounds perfect," he says, pulling me a little closer. "I was thinkin' of a surprise, but I guess you’ve already outdone me."

I laugh softly, shaking my head. "I’m not trying to one-up you. I just want to make sure we keep creating new memories together."

"Fair enough," Boone replies, kissing the top of my head. "I’m all for it."

The conversation shifts to plans and dreams for the future—new places we want to visit, projects we want to tackle around the house, and the simple joys we want to share. Each idea feels like a promise to the life we’re building together.

As the evening fades into night, the stars begin to emerge, twinkling brightly against the darkening sky. I take a deep breath, savoring the crisp, clean air. It’s a contrast to the chaos of that night so long ago. But this time the sky is peaceful, not forboding. There's no twister illuminated by lightning or the stars, only the fields of our house, and the animals from our barn.

"I’m glad we’re here," I say softly, my voice barely above a whisper. "I’m glad we’re okay."

Boone looks at me, his expression tender and full of understanding. "Me too. Every day with you feels like a gift."

We sit there, wrapped in the comfort of each other’s presence, and I feel a profound sense of peace. The past is a part of us, but it no longer holds the same weight it once did. We’ve come through the storms, both literal and metaphorical, and emerged stronger, closer, and more determined to make the most of every moment.

As the stars continue to shine and the night settles around us, I find myself looking forward to the future with a hopeful heart. The journey hasn’t been easy, but it’s been ours. And with Boone by my side, I’m ready to face whatever comes next, knowing that we’ll navigate it together.

I was no author, sure as hell not of our story, but I'd like to think that this epilogue isn’t just the end of this chapter; it’s the beginning of the rest of our lives. And as I lean against Boone, feeling his steady heartbeat and the warmth of his embrace, I know that no matter what challenges lie ahead, we’ll face them with the same strength and love that has carried us this far. And that’s exactly how we want it to be.