54 || I Went Too Far

hiiiiii

this is PART 2 of the two part update! if you're seeing this first, make sure to read chapter 53 first!

_________________

Lennon Holt

'Why're we even talking about this?'

'I don't think it's too far-fetched. We don't know what could happen, I just want to be prepared.'

Harry ran a harsh hand down his face, sitting on the sofa, his laptop open on the table before him.

We've only been in this safe-house a day, and yet, it already felt like months with how much bickering and hate has infiltrated this space between us. It was never ending.

I just wanted to get home, and get far away from him. I knew he wanted to be anywhere but here, talking about hypotheticals.

'With me as your guard, you will never be in the position to be in Viper's hands–his hands. That would mean I failed. And I. Don't. Fail.'

'But with what you've told me, and what I've heard about him, the unexpected could happen. At any time he–"

'But he wouldn't! So stop bringing it up!'

The laptop was slammed close, his glare burning through my own.

'What's so wrong about me wanting to be prepared?'

'Because you're undermining my ability. You speaking of something impossible is making it seem like you don't trust me.'

'A little hard when you snap at every little thing I do.'

'You don't get it.'

'Then let me! I'm asking these questions because I'm trying to understand it. I'm trying to make this as easy as possible, so we can both get out of this. Which, might I add, is something I've never done for a guard before.'

'I'm flattered.' No emotion. Only bite.

I sighed. Shifting to sit on the coffee table beside his laptop, I intertwined my hands in my lap, forcing his gaze to not leave mine. He went still. We were so close. We don't get close like this. Every time we do it gets weird. 'I know how dangerous this is. I've seen it with my own eyes when my brother was taken from my family. I'm not asking this to undermine your ability. I'm aware you're the best in your field, that is why you're here. But you've said it yourself, if we are going to make this work, and end Viper for good, I need to cooperate. So, you need to cooperate with me and answer these questions that are only asked to help us do just that.'

Harry swallowed, his fingers picking at themselves within his clasp. After what felt like an eternity, he said, "He won't get to you.'

'I know he won't.'

Then when I thought that was that, he continued, 'He acts on vile tactics. Torture, entrapping you in cold, dark places with no food or water. He will get into your mind and try to break you. There's rarely been a time where I haven't seen him succeed. Arthur will do anything and everything to get what he wants. He has no heart, there is nothing he wouldn't do. No matter who you are.'

Watching as life slipped from his eyes, retreating to the safe spot in his mind he could find as the nightmares filled his pupils, I swallowed. My palms began to dampen.

'If it comes to it, you keep your wits. You fight silently, the hardest you can, against what he is saying and doing. Do not fight back in his presence, that will end in death, or something worse than. You fight when no one is looking. He's smart, but he's not quick on his feet. Everything he does is planned to the second, if you can get even one of them to go rogue, you will set him off his axis and hell will break loose.'