CHAPTER ONE

Jeedarh's POV

I groaned and got out of bed, putting on my earpods and playing my favorite song. It's my daily routine, but sometimes I have to hide it from my mom, who complains that I listen to too much music. I remembered the time she took my phone and deleted all my songs - I was so angry!

As I zoned out, my mom screamed my name to come out and do my morning chores. Can't she just speak normally? We have neighbors, and I know they don't like her shouting. I came out of my room, greeted her, and she asked if I had prayed. I lied and said yes, knowing I hadn't.

She started scolding me, saying I'm lazy and always giving her headaches. I apologized, but she told me to get out. I met my siblings on the way out, and we exchanged greetings. My mom likes to complain about me, but I'm not the only one - I have three siblings: Abubakar, Walida, and Suleman.

As I was heading out, I ran into Walida and Abubakar, who greeted me. Abubakar winked at me, knowing I hate it when he calls me "baby." I chased him into mom's room and gave him a hard knock on the head. Walida laughed, but I glared at her, and she shut up.

Mom started screaming at me again, saying I have no respect. I rushed out, angry, and went to the kitchen to make tea. Walida came in and started washing dishes, complaining that there were too many. I swept and mopped the kitchen and backyard while doing my work.

When the water was ready, I made tea and set it out for everyone. Walida told me about Abubakar lying down with mom and Suleman instead of doing his chores. She said she told him to remember his chores, and mom slapped him and chased him out. I smiled, thinking it was funny, but Walida said it was hilarious.

I prepared the tea, and we drank it in the sitting room. Today is going to be a long day since it's the weekend.

After breakfast, I went to my room to change into a towel and take a bath. As I looked out the window, I saw the cloudy sky and predicted rain. Just then, it started pouring, and I remembered we had to collect water in buckets and barrels since the water board had cut off our supply. The sound of children playing in the rain brought me back to reality.

As I crossed my arms, smirking at my siblings , they ran to me, apologizing and begging me not to tell mom. I rolled my eyes and said I wouldn't, but warned them to behave. After my bath, I applied cocoa butter lotion, put on my bum shorts and a mini singlet, and listened to Tatiana Manaois' songs on my earpods.

I browsed through Wattpad and Facebook, reading novels and came across "Temilade" by UmmAhmad Stories, which touched my heart. I cried, imagining the life of a child born through incest, facing challenges and insults.

I checked my WhatsApp and saw an invitation card from Nabbeelarh for our course mate Sa'adat's wedding. I was hesitant to attend, thinking about my lack of friends and social life. I wished I had a boyfriend to love and care for me.

My mind wandered back to my childhood when suitors would come to our house, but now that I'm older, I don't see anyone. I feel like I'm stuck, and my life isn't changing. I want to be rich to take care of my family, especially my mom, who has no one to support her.

I thought about my dad, who passed away 10 years ago, and how much I miss him. I feel sorry for my mom, who takes out her aggression on us. I know Allah's time is the best, but I don't know when things will get better.

As I prepared for tomorrow, ironing my uniform and clothes, I thought about my roommates, Nabeelah and zahra who are like sisters to me. I'm still getting used to the idea of friendship.

After telling my mom I was ready to leave, she didn't lecture me, which surprised me. I bid her farewell, and as I left, Walida and Abubakar helped me with my stuff. I shrugged off their question about mom not lecturing me, saying maybe she just didn't feel like it. I entered the cab, thinking tomorrow would be a long day, and I hate Mondays.