XVII

Sweat beads on my forehead and I clamp a hand over my mouth to stifle my breathing as Gladys shuffles into the room. I press back further, the rock digging painfully into my spine as I pray reverently that she won't see me.

"I just want to grab my grinder, then we can goto the bread room," she prattles on, shuffling towards me. My head turns anddread forms a fist in my stomach as I see the salt grinder a few feet from me,on a shelf under my bench. I lean my head back in resignation, and watch theflame of the torch as she approaches. She eases herself down, knees popping andcracking with age, and my eyes follow her as her head pops under the ledge andsearches for the pestle and grinder. Her bug-like eyes meet mine as she findsit, and for a long moment I wait for her to sound the alarm that alert theguards, and I'll be dragged into some deep, dark dungeon where even Archerwon't be able to free me from. But, as I wait, that shout doesn't come. And,after a slow, deliberate wink, she pulls back and shuffles out, taking thelight with her. For a long, silent minute I simply breathe, in and out. But,the echo of voices urges me to get moving and I scrabble out of the shadows andscurry back to my room. When I get there, I shove the sooty sack into the deeprecesses of my drawers, where no one, hopefully, will look. Then I clean sootfrom my hands and arms, before dressing and going to Artie's room to wake himup for breakfast. The rest of the day, unfortunately, wielded no further opportunities to get any more supplies due to the fact that salt cakes were inconveniently running low that day which meant the nursery, which I spent most of the daylight hours in, didn't get any. That meant I had to deal with a dozen stroppy, sulking toddlers, on top of the fact that some of the Berserk babies all decided that today would be the day they all get really grumpy. That left me in a pretty shitty mood, but Margaret's absence made me feel a little better. And, despite last night's awkwardness, when Archer came to spend time with me that night I was silently pleased, for whatever reason.

"You look awful," were the first words from him when I entered my room Sunday night, after spending an extra hour training children from the school room.

"Thanks, you don't exactly look peachy yourself," I reply tiredly, because it's true, he looks like he didn't get a wink of sleep last night.

"It's nothing. How was your day then?" I groan and flop down on the furs of my bed, while Archer turns casually on my chair to face me.

"Fantastic, first the children were pissy because there weren't any salt cakes, and then the Berserk babies decided it would be a great time to vocalise their lineage. All together. At the same time." Archer snorted, and I flop an arm over my eyes, relishing the dark. "So, all in all, a good day. What about you? I didn't see you at lunch or dinner."

He sighs, I peek at him just in time to see his hand drag down his face, "I was out on border patrol, the sharks have been antsy lately, and a lot bolder."

I frown, "And?"

"Quiet as a mouse," he shakes his head, dark hair falling in his eyes. He hadn't bothered to cut it and it was now much longer and shaggier. "No, quieter, there wasn't a soul out there other than us," he looks frustrated, "I just don't understand what they're doing."

"Maybe they got sick of having their asses beaten all the time?" I offered, to which he gave a weary smile.

"While that would be fantastic, I highly doubt it," he sighs and stands, before striding over in two steps and flopping down next to me. "I just hope they aren't planning an attack."

"If they are, you'll make sure nothing happens to your people, you'll keep them safe," I comfort him in all confidence, knowing that I believed that more than anything else.

He turns his head to look at me, face so close I can see the gold and brown flecks in his eyes, "And what if I don't, what if the Flesh Eaters get past the defences and wreak havoc on my people?" And I can see it in his eyes, the gnawing fear, not for his life, but the lives of everyone that depended on him as their prince.