Chapter 1

Olivia slipped on her dress, the tight, thin fabric hugging her body. He was gonna be there tonight so she had to look her best. She carefully slipped her feet into the black tights and pulled them up her legs, making sure not to ladder them. Finally, she grabbed her thigh high, high heeled boots and pulled them on, zipping them up carefully.

She stood up from her bed, applied some lip gloss and looked herself up and down in her mirror. For a girl who had been overweight a few months beforehand, she looked quite flattering in her dress. Her stomach had flattened out and she realised that she looked pretty. She carefully did her hair in a neat bun, placing the bobby pins in exactly right places. Her neck had become more slender, so had her face and her sharp cheekbones were quite obvious. She carefully walked down the stairs, her mother stood at the bottom. "You look gorgeous, honey." Her mom, Alice, exclaimed. "Thanks, mum." Olivia replied. "Do you think dad'll approve?" Her father was a minister, a baptist. "It should be fine, your tights are so thick no one will see anything, and your boots aren't exactly gonna expose much." Olivia chuckled. "You're right, mum."

At the church

Olivia and her mother walked in, immediately being spoken to by 2 different people. Olivia slunk off to text her best friend, step one of her plan complete. She took a quick picture of herself and sent it to her friend saying Do you think he'll notice? Her friend replied immediately with an I'm almost there, just coming down the street by the church now. She'd begged her best friend to come, purely for emotional support and she was glad she'd agreed. After all, it was only a carol service and they had total atheists coming in off the street for this. And then he walked in. His hoodie dark blue and his eyes glinting in the candlelight. She snuck out to the porch, seeing her best friend walk into the car park. "He's just arrived." Olivia said to Amy. Amy smirked, "Not gonna chicken out this time, are you?" Olivia just rolled her eyes at her remark and looked at Amy. "You know how I get around him. He's been staring at me from across the room for ages now. Like since October." This time it was Amy's turn to roll her eyes. "I really don't know what you seen in him. Like he isn't even that fit." Olivia glared. "You're saying that as a total lesbian. Your opinion doesn't count."

During the service

"Our next reading comes from Matthew chapter 1 verse 18-25." Olivia stood up, her reading already at the front. "When his mother Mary had been engaged to Joseph, but before they lived together, she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. 19 Her husband Joseph, being a righteous man and unwilling to expose her to public disgrace, planned to dismiss her quietly. 20 But just when he had resolved to do this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife, for the child conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” 22 All this took place to fulfill what had been spoken by the Lord through the prophet." Tom glanced up at her, taking in her outfit from his spot in the front row. She sat back down next to Amy, her heart beating at a thousand miles a minute just from looking at him. She signed to Amy, both of them knowing sign language to communicate in school, Just standing next to him makes me feel like I'm being electrocuted. Amy smiled and signed back. Next time you stand next to him, his arm will be round your waist. She blushed, picturing it. They all stood up to sing Away In A Manger. As they sang the last verse Olivia glanced at him, her eyes darting between him and the screen.

After the service

Olivia waited until last to take some food from the buffet after the carol service, not wanting to look stupid. She was quite happy taking some small sandwiches at the end but she did have a mince pie and a hot chocolate. She stood in the corner, scrolling through her phone when Tom came up to her. "Hey," He looked nervous and Olivia couldn't quite think of why. "Hi," She replied, confused. "Can I help you?" She asked, her minister's daughter training kicking in. "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something."