Chapter Seven - The Break Up

Paula has left after lunch and now that I already called my mom telling her the news I know I need to call Patrick and explain things for him in a proper way. He texted me last night but I choose to ignore it so I could prepare myself. He is a really good guy, he treats me right, is a gentleman, at least when he wants to be. And he doesn’t like Peter. I honestly don’t know what is the problem with them. I mean, I know Peter doesn’t like Patrick because he likes to party, get drunk, he also says Patrick is a little rude sometimes and overconfident. But who can blame him? The guy is a hot quarterback for Christ sake, most of the girls in the University would love to have a chance with him. I don’t see myself falling for him but I like men that can make you laugh, and Patrick does that, he is funny. But he is not Peter so I should stop think about it.

I call him asking if he’s free and he tells me he can come right now if there’s no problem. I accepted since I need to break things with him fast before Peter ask me again about this.

After twenty minutes someone knocks on the door. I open and there is Patrick, looking good as always with a messy brown hair, white t-shirt and blue jeans.

“Hey honey.” He makes his move to kiss me on the mouth but I stop him.

“Wait Patrick, we need to talk.” He looks concerned.

“Fine. What is the matter?” He makes his way through the couch. I sit right next to him and look straight to his eyes.

“First of all I ask you, don’t be mad ok? This thing was happening with me before we get really involved. We can’t control ours feeling can we?” I gave him a small smile.

“Shit! Why do I feel like you’re breaking up with me?” He sights.

“Because I am..” He looks confused and then his expression suddenly becomes lighter.

“Please don’t tell me is because of him.” I already know he’s is talking about Peter.

“Patrick, Peter and I..well we got really close and-“

“ And what? He is nothing like you!” Gosh he is mad.

They rarely spoke with each other, they don’t have almost any friends in common, but Brad already mentioned that they never got it along. Patrick is a player and Peter is the opposite. One is doing Pre-Law but doesn’t really give a shit about it and Peter on the other hand is quite serious when the subject is his studies. I thought that this only happened to girls. You know, sometimes we don’t like some particular girl since day one we met her but for no special reason. We just don’t like her. But men are more easy on this stuff, they normally get along and only don’t like someone because that person did something. But these two, they just really don’t like each other.

“Patrick don’t need to exaggerate all right? We do have a lot in common, the fact he doesn’t like to party like other people doesn’t mean he is nothing like me.” Actually I have a lot more in common with Peter that I will ever have with you Patrick, my mind added.

“Whatever, we were doing good right? I really like you! I told you. I don’t want to lose you Sophie.”

“I know and like you too just not like that. I didn’t realize the depth of my feelings for Peter before and I’m sorry, but I was already falling for him. There’s nothing that it could be done on this matter.”

“So is a lost cause? You and him are like together now?” I knew he would not try to fight against it. He already mentioned he didn’t like it to see me with Peter. He figured something was going on, if the sparkles were tangible like Brad has told me before.

“We are.” There’s nothing else I could say right? It is not like me and Patrick were that serious, we were hanging out and was good but now is over. Done.