27

Time itself seemed to slow down, as Hades rose slowly from his throne. An instant later, the air shifted, when he appeared beside them. 'Cora...' he breathed out her name, afraid that even making a sound might break the spell. Then his gaze fell to her bruised and bloody knuckles. 'What have you done?' There was agony in his voice.

'Lord Receiver.' She bowed to him, mindful of his formal status and the countless eyes resting on them with curiosity. 'I am here of my own free will. I came as all others do, by boat.'

'What did you do?' he repeated, unable to believe his own eyes.

'I paid the Ferryman.' She shrugged.

'With what?'

'With the coin you gave me.' She was unable to tear her gaze off his face. He looked gaunt; his skin even paler than she remembered. His eyes were dimmed by a dull light of exhaustion and were circled with dark rings, that told her of his sleepless nights.

'You are really here,' he whispered and finally reached out.

She surrendered herself to him, as desperate to be in his embrace as he seemed to be to hold her. Forgetting the world around them, their lips found each other, and their hearts beat in unison once more.

She felt a sudden sensation of rising into the air and assumed it was like that first time they had kissed, but almost immediately she realised that Hades' embrace tightened around her; more a protective gesture than an expression of tenderness. 'What is happening?' she asked, alarmed by the intensity of his expression and the unmistakable tensing of his body. She held him tightly, afraid she might slip out of his arms and crash back to the ground.

But before he managed to answer, they seemed to land on... a cloud. As soon as they ceased moving, Hades transformed in front of her eyes; a highly polished armour appeared over his black tunic, encasing his body in its protective shell. The flaming bident materialised in his right hand, while, at the same time, his left arm extended in an attempt to push Cora behind, shielding her with his own body.

'Brother, that's quite unnecessary.' An assured voice declared, and they both turned to face an approaching figure.

Cora observed him with curiosity. Although they couldn't be more different, there was no doubt they were related, and she assumed it must have been Zeus. Muscular and long-limbed, he had the same physique as Hades. His hair was longer, falling over his shoulders, and more silver than his brother's; his eyes blue, but with a slight silvery glow. A well-trimmed beard framed his handsome face, and he was dressed in a long white chiton, wrapped luxuriantly around his body. From his manicured hands to his elegant golden sandals, he definitely looked the part.

Breathing deeply, she stepped forward and took her place by Hades' side, placing her hand on his arm. Instantly, the air shimmered around them, crackling loudly with static.

Zeus took a moment to come to terms with this unexpected display of power, and then cleared his throat, trying to diffuse the tension. 'I've been told of a powerful bond you two share, but to actually witness it is... quite impressive.' He seemed to be more than unsettled.

'What is the meaning of this?!' growled Hades angrily, measuring his brother with uneasy eyes.

'I simply wished to meet your new queen.'

Was there an inflection on the word new?

'I am not his queen,' Cora responded with calm determination.

'And I do not appreciate being summoned like an errand boy!' added Hades.

'I only wanted to meet the woman who stole your heart, brother.' Zeus opened his arms, as if in a gesture of surrender. 'We are family, after all.'