32

'My dearest,' he sighed with appreciation. 'You simply look stunning.'

He rose from his seat, taking in her appearance. Her midnight blue dress matched his suit perfectly. He had silver stitching along the collar lapel and the central button line, as well as at the cuffs and the hem; her dress mirrored the stitching along the neckline, the waistline and at the hem. Her elongated sleeves left space for the ornate armbands and a matching necklace hung from her slender neck.

'I have never in my life felt so overdressed,' she confessed, a little sheepishly.

'Yet, you have never looked more regal and fit for the role of my Betrothed,' he countered.

'Are you absolutely certain I need all this bling?' she sounded doubtful, as she peered into the huge mirror, carefully appraising the woman who looked back at her.

'Darling, if you don't want to wear it, you don't have to. But, just so you know, you look divine!' He smiled with a dreamy expression. 'All the women will be jealous, and all the men will gawp.'

'Are you sure, I'm not just a trophy?' One of her eyebrows went up quizzically.

'My love, anyone calling you that would do so at their own peril!' He stepped closer and kissed her hand. 'You will be the most beautiful and the most admired woman on Olympus tonight.'

'Gosh, what will Aphrodite have to say about it?' She pretended to be horrified.

'For once, she will have to swallow her pride.' He shrugged indifferently. 'Shall we?'

She took a deep, slow breath to steady her nerves, then, put on the most regal expression she could muster, and they teleported to Mount Olympus.

It was nothing as she expected.

The last time they met with Zeus it was somewhere remote; this time, it seemed like the whole population was milling around, waiting to see her. A strange hush fell on the gathering, as Hades and Cora appeared, then all eyes were on her, appraising her, judging her worth; both actually and metaphorically.

'Auntie Cora, Uncle,' a familiar voice greeted them. 'Welcome.'

'Hermes.' Hades inclined his head with dignity, but Cora allowed herself a quick hug.

'You look stunning,' Hermes whispered into her ear, before another voice cut in.

'Brother.' Zeus walked towards them; a beautiful woman on his arm. 'Welcome. It's been too long.'

'Zeus.' Hades' greeting was clipped.

'Lady Cora.' Zeus turned to her. 'Welcome to Olympus.'

'Mighty Zeus.' She curtseyed in front of him, which earned her an amused smirk. 'And Queen Hera.' She bowed low to the woman, remembering she was quite sensitive about her position.

Something akin to a smile flitted on Hera's face, when she answered. 'I see that you know us, Lady Cora. Welcome.'

'Thank you.'

'Let us honour our esteemed guests and celebrate tonight,' Zeus spoke loudly. 'The feast has been laid out at the palace.'

Most of the gathered cheered loudly and moved off to take their places at the tables. Only a few gods remained behind, and Cora took notice of a handsome man, watching her with interest from a distance. He had brown hair and piercingly green eyes, and there could be no doubt as to his identity. 'Lord Poseidon.' She smiled, catching his eye. 'I am pleased to finally meet you.'

Without a word, he inclined his head a little and walked away.

'Don't take it personally.' Zeus smirked. 'Now that Hades has finally found his soulmate, our brother Poseidon remains the only one without his consort. Please, join us.' With an expansive gesture, he invited them and led the way to the Great Hall.