CHAPTER 14 [The Return of an Old Flame]

It had been a long week, one filled with the relentless grind of work, the suffocating frustration of creative block, and the growing distance between Evelyn and Jacob. Evelyn had spent most of her days alone in the studio, battling with her inner demons, trying to reignite the spark that had once fueled her art. But the inspiration that had always been there, just beneath the surface, remained stubbornly out of reach.

It was late Friday afternoon when Evelyn decided she needed a break—a change of scenery, something to clear her mind. She left her studio and made her way to the small café around the corner, hoping a cup of hot tea and a quiet moment to herself might provide some relief from the storm of emotions swirling inside her.

The café was a cozy place, with warm wooden furniture, soft lighting, and the comforting aroma of coffee and baked goods filling the air. It was a place she and Jacob had frequented often in the early days of their relationship, a little sanctuary where they could escape the world and lose themselves in each other's company.

But as Evelyn stepped inside, the familiar comfort of the café was overshadowed by a sight that made her heart skip a beat.

There, sitting at a corner table by the window, was Jacob. His back was to her, but she recognized him instantly—the broad shoulders, the way he leaned slightly forward when he was deep in conversation, the familiar shape of his silhouette. And across from him, leaning in with a warm smile and a sparkle in her eyes, was a woman Evelyn didn't recognize.

Evelyn froze, her heart pounding in her chest as a thousand thoughts raced through her mind. Who was she? What was Jacob doing here, having coffee with another woman? And why hadn't he told her about it?

For a moment, Evelyn considered turning around and leaving, pretending she hadn't seen anything. But the curiosity, the doubt, and the insecurity that had been gnawing at her for weeks refused to let her walk away.

She took a deep breath, her hands trembling slightly as she made her way to the counter. She ordered a cup of tea, her voice steady despite the turmoil inside her, and then, tea in hand, she moved to a table on the opposite side of the café, where she had a clear view of Jacob and his companion.

Evelyn's mind raced as she watched them, her eyes darting between Jacob and the woman sitting across from him. The conversation between them seemed easy, comfortable—Jacob's expression was relaxed, and the woman's laughter rang out softly, filling the space between them.

Evelyn's heart sank as she watched the scene unfold, her mind jumping to the worst possible conclusions. She hadn't seen Jacob this at ease, this engaged, in weeks. Was this woman someone special to him? Was she someone from his past, someone who still held a place in his heart?

The questions gnawed at Evelyn, feeding the insecurity that had already taken root inside her. She sipped her tea, trying to keep her emotions in check, but the jealousy and fear that bubbled up within her were impossible to ignore.

After what felt like an eternity, Jacob and the woman stood up, preparing to leave. Evelyn's breath caught in her throat as she watched them exchange a few more words, their expressions warm and friendly. Jacob's hand rested briefly on the woman's arm as they said their goodbyes, and then she turned and walked out of the café, leaving Jacob standing alone by the table.

Evelyn knew she couldn't let him leave without finding out the truth. She stood up, her heart pounding in her chest, and made her way over to him, her footsteps soft on the wooden floor.

"Jacob?" she called out, her voice steady despite the turmoil inside her.

Jacob turned at the sound of her voice, his expression brightening as he saw her. But there was a flicker of surprise in his eyes, quickly masked by a smile. "Evelyn! I didn't expect to see you here."