CHAPTER 18 [A Sudden Blow]

The sterile smell of antiseptic clung to the air, mingling with the faint scent of fresh flowers from the waiting room's lone potted plant. Evelyn sat in one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs, her hands clasped tightly in her lap. The ticking of the wall clock was the only sound, each tick echoing loudly in the silence, a reminder of the time stretching out before her.

She stared at the door to the doctor's office, her heart pounding with a mixture of anxiety and fear. It had been weeks of feeling unwell—fatigue, persistent headaches, and an inexplicable weight loss that had gnawed at her, leaving her weak and drained. She had brushed it off at first, attributing it to stress and the emotional turmoil that had consumed her life. But when the symptoms worsened, she had finally made the appointment.

Now, sitting in the cold, clinical waiting room, Evelyn felt the weight of the unknown pressing down on her. She had come alone, not wanting to worry Jacob. Their relationship was already strained, and she didn't want to add to the burden he was already carrying. But as the minutes ticked by, the gravity of the situation began to settle in her chest, a heavy, suffocating presence that made it hard to breathe.

The door to the office creaked open, and Evelyn's heart leaped into her throat as Dr. Bennett stepped out, his expression somber. He was an older man, with kind eyes and a gentle demeanor, but the seriousness in his gaze sent a chill down Evelyn's spine.

"Evelyn, please come in," Dr. Bennett said, his voice calm but firm.

Evelyn stood on shaky legs, her palms sweating as she followed him into the office. The walls were lined with medical degrees and family photos, a stark contrast to the clinical setting outside. Dr. Bennett gestured for her to sit in the chair opposite his desk, and as she did, Evelyn felt her heart hammering against her ribcage.

Dr. Bennett took a seat behind the desk, folding his hands in front of him as he regarded her with a look of deep concern. "Evelyn, I'm afraid I have some difficult news to share with you."

The room seemed to close in around her, the air thick and heavy. Evelyn gripped the arms of the chair, her knuckles white as she braced herself for what was coming.

"After reviewing your test results, we've found that you have a serious illness," Dr. Bennett continued, his voice gentle but unwavering. "You have lymphoma. It's a type of cancer that affects the lymphatic system."

Evelyn's mind went blank, the words crashing over her like a tidal wave. Cancer. The word echoed in her mind, reverberating with a force that made her head spin. It didn't seem real, didn't seem possible that this could be happening to her. Her vision blurred, and she struggled to breathe, the weight of the diagnosis pressing down on her chest.

Dr. Bennett's voice broke through the haze, his tone calm but insistent. "I know this is a lot to take in, Evelyn, but it's important that we start treatment as soon as possible. Lymphoma is treatable, and with the right care, many people go into remission."

Evelyn nodded numbly, her mind struggling to process the enormity of what she was hearing. The room felt like it was spinning, the walls closing in as the reality of the situation began to sink in. She was sick—seriously sick—and her life had just been turned upside down in an instant.

"I'll schedule a series of tests to determine the stage of the cancer," Dr. Bennett continued, his voice a steady anchor in the storm of emotions that was raging inside her. "We'll discuss the treatment options once we have a clearer picture of what we're dealing with."

Evelyn swallowed hard, her throat dry and tight. "How... how bad is it?"

Dr. Bennett's expression softened, a look of sympathy in his eyes. "It's too early to say for certain, but we'll know more after the tests. What's important now is that we focus on getting you the care you need. You're not alone in this, Evelyn. We'll be with you every step of the way."