CHAPTER 15 [Conflicting Advice]

The morning light filtered softly through the curtains of Evelyn's apartment, casting a warm, golden hue over the room. She sat at the kitchen table, nursing a cup of tea, her thoughts a tangled mess of emotions and doubts. The encounter with Sarah, the conversation with Jacob, and the deep-seated insecurities that had been gnawing at her for weeks all weighed heavily on her mind.

She knew she needed to talk to someone—someone outside of her relationship with Jacob, someone who could offer her a fresh perspective. But the thought of opening up about her fears and doubts made her stomach twist with anxiety.

After a few moments of hesitation, Evelyn reached for her phone and scrolled through her contacts until she found the name she was looking for: Lily.

Lily was Evelyn's closest friend, someone she had known since their college days. She had always been a source of comfort and wisdom, someone Evelyn could turn to when life became overwhelming. If anyone could help her make sense of her emotions, it was Lily.

With a deep breath, Evelyn tapped the screen and waited as the phone rang. After a few rings, Lily's cheerful voice came through the line.

"Evelyn! It's so good to hear from you. How are you?"

Evelyn managed a small smile, though the weight of her worries still pressed heavily on her chest. "Hey, Lily. I'm... I'm okay, I guess. I was hoping we could talk. I've been dealing with some stuff, and I really need your advice."

Lily's tone immediately softened, her concern evident. "Of course, Evelyn. You know I'm always here for you. What's going on?"

Evelyn hesitated for a moment, unsure of where to begin. But as she started to speak, the words tumbled out, carrying with them all the emotions she had been bottling up inside.

"I don't know what to do, Lily," Evelyn admitted, her voice trembling slightly. "Everything with Jacob has been so hard lately. We've been drifting apart, and then Sarah showed up—she's his ex, by the way—and it just made everything worse. I've been feeling so insecure, and I don't know how to fix it."

Lily listened quietly, letting Evelyn pour out her heart without interruption. When Evelyn finally fell silent, her breath shaky, Lily's voice was gentle but firm.

"Evelyn, it sounds like you're dealing with a lot right now. It's completely understandable that you're feeling overwhelmed and insecure, especially with everything that's been happening. But you have to remember that relationships are a two-way street. It's not just about how you feel—it's about how Jacob feels too."

Evelyn nodded, though Lily couldn't see her. "I know, Lily. And I want to be there for him, but I feel like I'm losing myself in the process. I'm scared that we're not as strong as we used to be, that maybe we're not meant to be together after all."

Lily sighed softly, her voice tinged with sympathy. "Evelyn, only you and Jacob can decide what's right for your relationship. But from what you've told me, it sounds like you both still care deeply about each other. Maybe this is just a rough patch, something you can work through together. But you have to be honest with each other—about your fears, your doubts, everything."

Evelyn bit her lip, her mind racing. "But what if we can't work through it? What if we're too different, or if our lives are pulling us in opposite directions?"

Lily paused for a moment before replying, her tone thoughtful. "If that's the case, then you need to figure out what's most important to you. Relationships are about compromise, but they shouldn't require you to lose yourself in the process. You deserve to be with someone who supports you, who helps you grow, not someone who makes you doubt yourself."