CHAPTER 27 [The Last Night]

The soft, rhythmic hum of the machines filled Evelyn's hospital room, a stark contrast to the life she had once led. The sterile scent of antiseptic hung in the air, blending with the faint aroma of fresh lilies placed by the window. The world outside had long since quieted, leaving only the muted glow of the city lights filtering through the curtains, casting long shadows on the pale walls.

Jacob sat in the hard plastic chair beside Evelyn's bed, his back hunched, eyes red and weary. He held her hand, fingers intertwined with hers, as if afraid to let go. Her skin was cool to the touch, her once-vibrant complexion now pallid and fragile like porcelain. The rhythmic rise and fall of her chest was shallow, her breath a whisper of what it used to be.

He had been here every night since the doctors had told him there was nothing more they could do. The word "terminal" had felt like a knife to his heart, severing any last threads of hope. He had nodded numbly, unable to find words. How could he? How could he accept that the woman he loved more than life itself would be gone by morning?

Evelyn stirred, a soft moan escaping her lips as her eyes fluttered open. Jacob leaned in, his heart aching at the sight of her, the love of his life, battling the final moments of her existence.

"Jacob?" Her voice was faint, barely above a whisper, but it was still Evelyn's voice, the voice that had sung to him on their wedding day, that had whispered promises of forever in his ear.

"I'm here, Evie," he replied softly, his thumb brushing over the back of her hand in gentle circles. "I'm right here."

Her eyes, once a deep, sparkling hazel, now dull and tired, locked onto his. She gave him a weak smile, the corners of her lips trembling with the effort.

"You... you should rest," she said, her words slurring slightly as exhaustion overtook her. "You look so tired."

Jacob shook his head, a sad smile on his face. "I'll rest later. Right now, I just want to be with you."

Evelyn sighed softly, her eyelids drooping as she fought to stay awake. "Always so stubborn," she murmured, the ghost of a laugh playing on her lips. "But that's why I love you."

A lump formed in Jacob's throat, and he swallowed hard, trying to keep his emotions in check. He had to be strong for her, now more than ever.

"Do you remember," he began, his voice shaky, "that time we went to the beach in the middle of winter? You insisted on going, even though it was freezing."

Evelyn's lips twitched into a faint smile. "You... you brought that old blanket from the car and wrapped us both up in it. We must have looked ridiculous."

"You were shivering so much, I thought you'd turn into an icicle," Jacob said, a soft chuckle escaping him. "But you wouldn't leave until we watched the sunset."

"It was worth it," she whispered. "The sky... it was like nothing I'd ever seen before."

Jacob nodded, blinking back tears. "You always found beauty in the strangest places."

Evelyn's breath hitched, and for a moment, Jacob's heart stopped, fearing the worst. But she slowly exhaled, her chest rising and falling in that same weak rhythm.

He reached up, brushing a stray lock of hair from her forehead, the strands now dull and lifeless, a far cry from the vibrant curls he used to run his fingers through. "I don't know what I'll do without you, Evie," he admitted, his voice cracking.

Evelyn's eyes fluttered open again, her gaze unfocused but still searching for his. "You'll... you'll be okay, Jacob. You're strong... stronger than you think."

He shook his head, tears finally spilling over. "I'm only strong because of you."

Her grip on his hand tightened slightly, as much as she could manage. "Then... take that strength with you. Carry it forward. Live... live the life we dreamed of."