Chapter 24: The Varieties of Pride

Forest No POV

Garou was panting as he was fighting the 8 heroes all from Class B and A.

Death Gatling: this will be your last chance to surrender, Garou, so take it.

Garou: <scoffs>

Death Gatling; not how you saw this ending, is it? Well, that's just too bad, Hero Hunter. Everyone assembled here is a veteran who's faced death countless times. I personally picked and brought in the heroes I know are the best just to hunt your ass down.

Garou: so they're "the best," huh? <laughs> I'm sure you're proud of your little squad, but I call bullshit. I'm not even seeing one Class S here. Doesn't the Hero Association understand how dangerous I am? These bargain-basement do-gooders in their Halloween costumes are nothing but a joke.

Death Gatling; so even a criminal like you cares only about Class S.

Garou; huh?

Death Gatling; the Class-S heroes are worshipped. They get paid the big bucks by the Hero Association, and they get let in on classified information that the rest of us would never be privy to. We're all heroes, but we're not equals. The rankings to decide who's on top are so subjective. So many heroes never even get a chance to be recognized. They may not be Class S, but this crew is still tough as hell. You've managed to get all this attention for taking out Class-S heroes. That makes you the perfect target for proving my point!

Garou: <sighs> that explains the lack of Class S. You guys are itching to take all the credit. Any kid who heard you would be so let down. <gasps. Thought> it's hard to breath. I feel dizzy, too. The poison? <chuckles. Voice> I heard there's some Monster Association that's kicking your hero teeth in. You sure a guy like me should be your priority? If you didn't know, there's a hostage out there that needs rescuing.

Death Gatling; once we've brought you in, we'll deal with all that. Wherever there's an upstart monster, we'll be there to face it head-on and take it out.

Garou: <thought> these guys are a test... each one a step on my long winding path to becoming a true monster. I'm not backing down.

Smileman threw his ball at Garou as he jumped out of the way as Shooter and Chain'n'toad attacked as well as Garou dodged the chain before he jumped backwards dodging the arrows as he almost lost his footing.

Stinger: the poison's kicking in.

Death Gatling; he can't take much more of this.

Garou: <pants. Thought> it takes one step at a time, just one step.

Garou remembers his childhood and how the other kids talked about Justice Man while he talked about the villain. He inhaled as he took one step.

Chain Toad: now! Ankle Noose!

Chain Toad wrapped his chain around Garou's ankle and made him loose his footing.

Smileman: Earth Rotation of Doom!

Smileman threw his ball as Garou stomped his foot on the ground.

Chain Toad; what's he doing?

Garou deflected the ball away towards Chain Toad and it hit him.

Smileman: Chain Toad, no!

Smileman brought the ball back as Garou caught Chain Toad's sickle and cut the string that connected Smileman's ball with his hammer.

Smileman: he's down.

Garou caught the ball and used the sickle to block an incoming bullet from Blam-Blam.