chapter 45~Flame and love

Z A Y N

As we made our way down to the party, I could feel every gaze fixed on us—or rather, on my wife. My jaw tightened, and my nose flared with a surge of possessiveness. Without thinking, I pulled her even closer to me. Alia came over, concern evident in her eyes.

"Bhabhi, you fine now?" she asked softly.

Elizha nodded, offering a small smile in reassurance. Then, Mom and Dad approached us, their faces lit up with gratitude.

"Thank you so much, beta, for this—all of this. Everything is beautiful," Mom said, embracing Elizha warmly.

"I'm glad you liked it, but the theme and the party ideas were all Alia and Shayan's," Elizha replied modestly.

Dad smiled and added, "And a big thank you from me too. After so long, being able to meet our old friends and have everyone together—it felt wonderful. Meri teeno betiyan bohot pyari hain ." He looked fondly at Alia, Elizha, and bhabhi, pride shining in his eyes.

The grand ballroom was bathed in warm, golden light, the chandeliers sparkling like a thousand tiny stars. The soft strains of classical music floated through the air, adding an air of elegance to the masquerade-themed anniversary party. Everyone in attendance wore intricate masks, their identities hidden behind ornate designs, but their voices and laughter gave them away.

Sarah Bhabhi was seated comfortably in a plush chair, her hand resting protectively on her growing belly. Alia, ever the attentive sister-in-law, was by her side, ensuring she was comfortable.

"Bhabhi, aap please beth jaiye," Alia said gently, guiding Sarah to sit down. The concern in her voice was evident. After everything Sarah had been through in the past two years, everyone in the family was on high alert, especially now with her pregnancy.

Sarah smiled appreciatively, nodding as she settled into her seat. "Thank you, Alia. You’re too kind."

As the soft music played in the background, couples swayed gently to the rhythm, their movements graceful and fluid. The room was filled with a mix of business magnates, politicians, and close family friends, all engaged in light conversation. It was an evening of sophistication, with an undercurrent of celebration.

Just then, Kabir, my friend, made his way over. Despite my initial reluctance to invite him, Elizha had insisted, so here he was, a smug grin on his face.

"Hi, bhabhi ji," Kabir greeted Elizha with a teasing tone.

Elizha smiled warmly at him. "Hi, Kabir bhaiya, aap kaise hain?"

Kabir’s grin widened. "Bas bohot acha hoon aaj kal," he replied, his tone playful.

"Achhi baat hai. Aur koi nahi aaya?" she asked, glancing at me, knowing how much I disliked Kabir's playful antics.

I stepped closer, placing a protective hand on Elizha’s back. "Jaana, I've invited all of them. Now it’s not a problem if they were busy and didn’t come," I said, keeping my tone casual, though I was already bracing myself for whatever Kabir was planning.

Kabir shot me a mischievous look. "Kya baat hai, biwi ka dar? Chalo, achha hai. Bhabhi, ise control mein hi rakhna," he teased, clearly enjoying my discomfort.

Elizha laughed lightly, the sound like music to my ears. But before I could respond, Kabir turned his attention back to her.

"Dance with me?" he asked, a smirk playing on his lips. I knew him too well; he was doing this just to get under my skin.

"Uhm—" Elizha hesitated, clearly uncomfortable with the situation.

"Never," I interjected firmly before she could say anything. My voice was final, leaving no room for argument.