chapter 61~Love and Betrayal

Z A Y N

I went to the office only because she insisted, but I couldn't stop thinking about her. I called her frequently to check if she had lunch, if she was in pain, or if she had taken her medicine. Each time, she sounded fine, but something felt off. I told her to take a nap after our last call and tried to focus on my meetings, but it wasn’t easy.

With all the work piled up from the time I stayed with her, my schedule was packed. The meetings went smoothly, but there was this unease in the back of my mind. I kept thinking about her. She said she was fine, but I knew her too well. Something was wrong, and I couldn't shake the feeling.

After my meeting, I called her again, but she didn’t pick up. I assumed she must be sleeping, so I tried to distract myself with work. Two hours passed, and I called her again—no answer. I called five, six times, but nothing. Now, I knew something was wrong. I left the office immediately and drove straight home.

As soon as I entered, I started shouting, “Elizhaa! Elizhaa!”

“Zayn?” Mom appeared from the other side. “Where’s Elizha?” I asked, trying to control my panic.

“She didn’t tell you?” Mom asked, surprised.

“Tell me what?” I asked, my heart racing.

“She went to her parents' home.”

As soon as I found out she was at her parents’ home, I immediately called Ammi. I kept my voice steady, though my mind was racing with questions.

"Ammi, please make sure Elizha has her dinner early tonight, and don’t forget her medicine," I instructed.

"Ji, beta, I’ll make sure she eats and takes her medication," Ammi reassured me gently.

I hung up, my chest still tight with a mixture of worry and frustration. Even though I was upset, all I wanted was for her to be okay. I couldn’t focus on anything else until I saw her for myself.

"Usne tumhe nhi btaya tha beta?"mom asked

"I forget mom"

Without another word, I rushed out of the house. Why did she go there without telling me? I specifically told her not to go out, and she left alone. Is she mad? Does she have any idea how worried I am? I can’t believe she just left without a word—without thinking about how much this would stress me.

I was fuming, but at the same time, I couldn't stay mad at her. One look at her face and all my anger, all my tension, would melt away. I just hoped she was fine—that everything was okay.

I grabbed a bouquet of roses—her favorite—hoping it would help ease the tension. As I drove towards her parents' home, my mind kept replaying everything that had happened. I wasn't just angry; I was worried, confused.

When I finally arrived, I took a deep breath before stepping out of the car, the bouquet in hand. This wasn’t just about apologies or explanations. I needed to see her, to understand why she left without telling me, and most of all, to make sure she was okay.

As I reached her parents' home, I rang the doorbell. Seher opened the door.

"Jeej?" she said, surprised.

"Where's your aapi?" I asked quickly.

"In her room. She just went up and had dinner earlier today."

"Zayn," I heard Ammi's voice behind me.

"Assalamualaikum," I greeted her.

"Wa'alaikum assalam, beta. Aao andar, Seher, andr kyun nahi bulaya?" Ammi said, ushering me inside.